Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have bought the new XTR 985 trail pedals and need some shoes to use together with these pedals. Normally on my XC bike I ride Time Attac pedals and Sidi Spider shoes but I would like a shoe which is better when you need to get of the bike more and which has better traction on rocks.

The Shimano MP66 seems to get excellent reviews. Are there any cons about this shoe and would you recommend this or another shoe?

How big is the difference between a normal XC shoe like the Sidi Spider and a AM shoe like the Shimano MP66?

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
i think most guys on here just use a normal xc shoe. i use shimano m057's or something. work ok but i would like a top ratcheting strap.

·
never summer
240 Posts
5.10 Freeride's and TBC platforms or 13 yr old Time Atac's and Answer Talvera's for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was in Moab this summer and brought my Time Attac and my Sidi Spider and found that my XC shoes could be slippery on the slickrocks and if the area was very rough the XC shoes are not very comfortable. I have a weak ankle which I have wristed too many times and therefore need shoes with better support.

That is why I am considering something like the Shimano MP66.

·
The Unaffiliated
871 Posts
Maybe look at the Mavic Mantra. I haven't tried them myself, but they are marketed as an XC stiff shoe with good walking traction. Expensive though, which has kept me from trying them out.

·
Gnar
476 Posts
I used to race cross country and always used Sidi's and they are great shoe's for that. When I got into AM type riding I started looking for different shoes. I ended up getting a Pearl Izumi boot and used them for four years. Much better for walking and hike a bike on rocks than the Sidi. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I have the Shimano MP66 shoes and I like them. They are heavy and a bit bulky and I use them for rides that have more jumps and drops. They are a good shoe and have padding and offer protection, but quite different from Sidi's, you might not like them. With shoes it's always best to try on at a store.

I would recommend looking at the Shimano MT52 MTB Shoes.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SH290B07-Shimano+Mt52+Mtb+Shoes.aspx

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jet Fuel said:
I have the Shimano MP66 shoes and I like them. They are heavy and a bit bulky and I use them for rides that have more jumps and drops. They are a good shoe and have padding and offer protection, but quite different from Sidi's, you might not like them. With shoes it's always best to try on at a store.
Do you use the MP66 with clipless pedals?

·
Trail Ninja
6,196 Posts
The Shimano MP66 is the most common shoe I see around SoCal. Even Eric Carter is wearing them now. It might have something to do with it being on sale at JensonUSA and me riding with the Jenson folks occasionally. Haven't tried them myself since they're sold out in my size.

I personally ride platforms with FiveTen Freeriders.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
When I rode clipped I liked 661 filters. They are heavy but give you a better feel on the pedal than xc shoes and do very well off the bike. They will make you a stronger rider when you switch to an xc shoe, though I never cared to use anything other than those. Pearl Izumi x Alps are great off the bike too but don't offer the feel when clipped that the 661's do and they aren't very stiff. I've heard good things about those Mavic shoes listed above too. Now I run flats and 5.10 impacts. Of course off the bike the 5.10's are in a different league over any spd shoe.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Are there a good pair of clipless shoes that also function well on flat pedals? I often interchange between the 2 and would like to stick with 1 pair of shoes. I see 5.10 has a pair but they look pretty big and bulky.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The new 5.10 spd shoes will be your best bet. I've tired going between flats and clips with 661 filters but I don't feel they do well on flats. I would recommend buying a pair of 5.10 impacts for flats and another spd specific shoe if you don't like the spd 5.10 shoes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts