Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into trying out some flats. Been riding clipless forever but am interested in switching to flats. I'm looking for a nice lightweight pair for around $100 or less. I mostly ride AM/XC style of trails. I usually try to do a Mammoth Bike Park trip once a year but most my riding is done in dry rocky loose So Cal type riding conditions. I'm also looking at geting some comfortable skate style type shoes to go with the pedals. I'm looking at the five ten Freerides as an option. Any suggestions on pedals and or shoes to meet my criteria would be great.

Cheers!

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I've been using 2 pairs of Wellgo Mg-1 pedals for a couple of years now.
No problems yet, even with some light FR on 'em!
On sale at Cambria Bikes for $59.95 (reg. $79.95).
They weigh only 378 gm. Check 'em out!:thumbsup:

edit: the Five Ten's are good shoes, but heavy and hot tho!

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Combatcm said:
What's the difference between AM flats and DH flats?
Nothing, really. Pedals are like grips and seats-they are a personal preference and should be chosen based on what makes you comfy. Some DHers will need pedals that are tough due to striking rocks and stuff, but then again, some of us have regular trail rides where rock strikes are common. Generally, if you ride in rough, snotty terrain, grip is a big concern, so aggressive pins help keep the shoes in place.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone running syncros meathook flat pedals. They are a little more pricey at $120.00. Also are the six six one filter shoes any good. They seem to be not as as expensive as the Five Ten Freerider shoes I was considering.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
op put Straitline pins as an upgrade on your flat pedal purchase. Check out VANS' Gravel shoe. Its their mtb flat sticky shoe. I dig my Impacts but these are directly made to compete with Freeriders and I chose them for classic style and have been really happy with them performance-wise too.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wear steel toe hi top work boots with soft grippy soles when i ride the rugged stuff. Might be a little overkill but my feet never leave the pedals. i once broke a toe and ripped off the toenail from hitting a concealed stump on the edge of a trail. Funny thing is that it wasn't even in rugged terrain just nice tight twisty singletrack. LOL Sometimes it's the easy ***** that will put you down hard.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't know what the best pedals are in that price range is but I can tell you not to buy vp 001 pedals. I reallly hate those pedals, they lasted one weekend.

I have had good luck with specialized lopro mags and they have taken at least half a dozen rock strikes in stride with no issue, but I wish they came in something other than gold or white and a few of their pins cannot be replaced. I just ordered a set of answer roves, so hopefully those live up to their reputation. If you can stomach the weight, straitlines look like the toughest pedals you can get but again they are heavy. I would put them on a dh bike if I had one.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Got new Straitlines on my AM last fall. Big, stable platforms with absolute ZERO slip regardless of what shoes I'm wearing. Clipless guys I ride with have been impressed by how well they've performed. Pricey, pricey, pricey though. Seem real solid despite a few small gouges and one pin missing from random pedal strikes on the rocks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.