Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

Quick question. Currently riding a Trek X-Cal 8. Love it, but I'm ready to take my riding to a more aggressive level. This takes me shopping for a more "trail" - or whatever the kids are calling it these days - frame. Want something strong, preferably steel, slack, and playful. Probably will run a 120-140mm fork. Nothing huge. Loving the Raleigh Tokul 4130. Any experience from anyone about this frame? Looking at Banshee as well. I know they are Al, but they're built like tanks. Of course the ROS 9 is a front runner, but a lot of my current components wouldn't be compatible. Any suggestions are welcome. I'm mainly just looking right now, testing what my budget would be.

Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alu I know but why not stay with Trek, the Stash has great feedback here? The On-One steel frame is bomb proof too.
The Stache is a good build from Trek, but in my opinion, its not slack enough or short enough to justify spending the money to make only a slight change in my stable, you know? It's slack...ish, but missed the actual "Trail" geo by *that* much

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Yeah I knew the nimble 9 would come up real fast. Never seen the transition though! Have any experience with either of these frames/brands?
I have a Yelli Screamy. Outstanding bike. Ive had it 3+ years and I typically get tired of a bike after about 6 months. You'd have a hard time finding anyone with anything bad to say about the company/service/bikes.

No experience with Transition but I knew of it so I added it to the list to further complicate your life.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a Yelli Screamy. Outstanding bike. Ive had it 3+ years and I typically get tired of a bike after about 6 months. You'd have a hard time finding anyone with anything bad to say about the company/service/bikes.

No experience with Transition but I knew of it so I added it to the list to further complicate your life.
Yeah I already use their Crampon pedals. Best upgrade I ever made. The nimble 9 looks really promising. Do their frames ever go on sale?

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Yeah I already use their Crampon pedals. Best upgrade I ever made. The nimble 9 looks really promising. Do their frames ever go on sale?
I think they've cleaned out a few leftovers on clearance but for the most part I think they sell out. I got my Yelli as a demo frame for a couple hundred less than retail but that was the first year before the word was really out on how good they were.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.