Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
getting ready to get my first fatbike and was wondering what my best choice for an all season, do everything bike. I plan to use the bike for commuting, snow riding, single track, gravel grinders and some 3 hr marathon races. I'd like to buy locally, so that leaves me with either a mukluk, pugsley or moonlander. Really liking the Muk2 but we missed out on the first order and not sure when he'd be able to get one in. He is pushing for a moonlander, which would be sweet in the snow but might not be the best setup for nebraska singletrack in the summer.

Thanks for any info/opinions!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm partial to the 907, but basically it's almost a toss-up I think between all of the brands. Your main choices are whether you want to run a symmetrical wheel or non-symmetrical, or other small differences between them. Currently there are only a few frames that can accept the biggest tires, the BFLs with 100s, so if you're going that route that's something else you'll need to consider.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Is there such a thing as a bad fatbike?

One that we would say "don't buy" (Other than the obvious cruisers that is)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pugsley.

Swiss army knife of Fat Bikes.

26" 29er?!

Choice of;
Geared,
Singlespeed,

...you can
Switch Front & Back wheels

...and now in different tyre flavours to suit the terrain you want to ride.

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
Pugsley is more adaptable, but most fat bikes allow for bolt ons to suit your needs.

I previously had a mukluk that I couldn't fault, but my new pugsley is here next week, this was after reading lots of reviews etc, and I decided to get one as it was also easier to get and cheaper than another mukluk.

You won't find many if any, bad reviews of any current fat bikes, just do your homework on bike sizes, I had a 19" L mukluk now I'm going for a 20" pug and moonlander, despite being told a 22" would be the better size. Lots of confusion there, so make sure you dont rush into a bad sized frame.

·
CAMBA Creature.
222 Posts
If you have the option of test riding the Mukluk and the Pugsley, like my GF did yesterday, ride them first. They both have their own unique geometry and ride quite differently. See what fits you better.

On the way to the bike shop, my GF had her mind set on a Mukluk, but after almost an hour of test riding, she rode a 17" & 15" inch Mukluk and a 16" Pugsley, she liked the feel and fit of the Pugsley.

Good luck, have fun. :)

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Wildfire Designs Fatbike

Best in what sense? I vote for the Wildfire Designs Fatbike. The namesake of the modern Fatbike, and the model that Surly brazenly copied when they made the Pugsley. i.e. it was the bike that started it all.

I liken the Pugsley to the Specialized Stumpjumper. The Stumpy was not the first mountain bike, but it was the first one to go mass market successfully. I suppose you could say the same about the Model T Ford. That makes them very important, but the best? I guess in some sense, yes.

Hmmm...maybe this should go under the history thread.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pugsley is more adaptable, but most fat bikes allow for bolt ons to suit your needs.

I previously had a mukluk that I couldn't fault, but my new pugsley is here next week, this was after reading lots of reviews etc, and I decided to get one as it was also easier to get and cheaper than another mukluk.

You won't find many if any, bad reviews of any current fat bikes, just do your homework on bike sizes, I had a 19" L mukluk now I'm going for a 20" pug and moonlander, despite being told a 22" would be the better size. Lots of confusion there, so make sure you dont rush into a bad sized frame.
How tall are you? I'm just under 6'4" with a 34"+ inseam. According to everyone's fit chart, I need an XL, but I thought it might be better to go L since the effective top tube is only about .6" shorter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I do not believe Wildfire is building Fatbikes any longer :( I have not been able to access their website in a year.

They made some cool snow bikes though! In fact one of what I believe is one of the original pre-Desalvo Wildfires is on the way to my house today to put on my stand and build up for a friend as he completes his parts sourcing. Too old of a Wildfire to be modern Fat but the old 3" Nokians on Remolinos are going to look sharp and should float fine as he chases my Fatback this winter :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
What is the pros and cons, say the 4.7'' fat tires to the standard 3.7'',
I see myself in the market some time in the future for one of these bad ass faties and I am thinking
all types of riding- beach-dunes-snow-dirt single track.

·
Geordie biker
1,376 Posts
How tall are you? I'm just under 6'4" with a 34"+ inseam. According to everyone's fit chart, I need an XL, but I thought it might be better to go L since the effective top tube is only about .6" shorter.
I'm 6ft

Some regular mtbs fit me between 16.5" all the way to 19" (24" if you include my old jeff jones) yet fat bikes seem to require a much larger frame, yet are smaller to look at and to ride.

The 19" mukluk seemed quite snug to ride, I could of actually rode the XL.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I bought my Pugs this past winter, and I love it, but if I had to buy one right now, I'd probably go for the Moonlander, because the frame/fork weight is probably similar to the Pugs, and I could swap out the tires/wheels if I wanted to go smaller, yet have the only frame specifically made to fit the BFL's.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would love to do a test ride but the only thing in town right now is a 20" pugs and a large muk3. I'm 5'8" w a 30" inseam. I'm guessing i'd need a med or 18". I ride an 18 on a 29er so i'm assuming fit is similar? Hopefully i can get on a correct sized muk/pugs for a test ride when they start hitting the shops.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
would love to do a test ride but the only thing in town right now is a 20" pugs and a large muk3. I'm 5'8" w a 30" inseam. I'm guessing i'd need a med or 18". I ride an 18 on a 29er so i'm assuming fit is similar? Hopefully i can get on a correct sized muk/pugs for a test ride when they start hitting the shops.
Thanks for the info!
I'm the same size (5'8", 31" inseam) as you, and I went with the small Pugs. It fits me fine, and when you're riding deep snow, you'll go forward off the seat when the front tire digs in. You may wish you had some extra clearance when that happens. That said, I did not test ride the Medium. I saw the small frame on sale, and took a chance.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.