Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to get a new air fork and i think i want air because with my vanilla 125 i can only do one type of riding. i ultimately want to be able to dh, xc, dj, and just ride so i think an air fork is necessary. it needs to be a standard qr. i weigh 140 so nothing to heavy. oh ya looking for around 5" travel to go with my new heckler. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
cdub said:
i am looking to get a new air fork and i think i want air because with my vanilla 125 i can only do one type of riding. i ultimately want to be able to dh, xc, dj, and just ride so i think an air fork is necessary. it needs to be a standard qr. i weigh 140 so nothing to heavy. oh ya looking for around 5" travel to go with my new heckler. any help would be appreciated.
The Vanilla would be better than an air fork for most of the riding that you listed. I wouldn't use an air fork for dh or dj.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first off i can bottom out on the tiniest drop yet i do not know if i should upgrade springs because then i might lose my small bump sensitivity. or is it possible to have a smooth ride on xc trails and be able to handle 4 or 5 foot drops to flat?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
cdub said:
first off i can bottom out on the tiniest drop yet i do not know if i should upgrade springs because then i might lose my small bump sensitivity. or is it possible to have a smooth ride on xc trails and be able to handle 4 or 5 foot drops to flat?
First...vanilla springs are cheap..or free from some LBSs. Coil shocks typically have much better small bump sensitivity than air shocks. This goes for the vanilla.

Any fork set correctly for XC will bottom on 5 feet to flat. If you want one fork to do everything....you'll have to compromise. If you have the right spring...almost all riding will be pretty good...except the big drops to flat. A fork like an 03/04 Marzocchi Z1FR, would be perfect. You'd get small bump sensitivity and you could add enough ooil to prevent harsh bottoming out.

With an air fork, you can add more air, but air forks are not the best thing for big drops. You'd have to get a big air fork...and once again lose small bump sensitivity.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue Shorts said:
First...vanilla springs are cheap..or free from some LBSs. Coil shocks typically have much better small bump sensitivity than air shocks. This goes for the vanilla.

Any fork set correctly for XC will bottom on 5 feet to flat. If you want one fork to do everything....you'll have to compromise. If you have the right spring...almost all riding will be pretty good...except the big drops to flat. A fork like an 03/04 Marzocchi Z1FR, would be perfect. You'd get small bump sensitivity and you could add enough ooil to prevent harsh bottoming out.

With an air fork, you can add more air, but air forks are not the best thing for big drops. You'd have to get a big air fork...and once again lose small bump sensitivity.
isn't the z1 really heavy. and raked out?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
cdub said:
isn't the z1 really heavy. and raked out?
My o3 weighs about 5.25 pounds. Not very heavy...especially if you're going to use it for dh, fr, and dj. It's a great fork for a Heckler.

I use that for on my 5 Spot for XC and very light FR. It's an amazing fork. I only weigh 170 and I don't have an issue with the weight.

You don't want a light fork to do 4-5 feet to flat....period.

There may still be some great online deals on 04 Z1 FR.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
I had a Talas on my heckler

cdub said:
and it worked real well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pike Air

I'd have to say the RS Pike U-air I don't have one, but I have the Reba U-air, and I believe it has the same internals but less travel. The Reba is the most awesome and adjustable fork I've ever ridden, and I've heard similar good things about the Pike. My Reba is 85-115mm, while the Pike is 95-140 - so you can adjust it for xc or dh. It comes with 32mm stanchions and a beefy "maxle" axle. Plus it has very simple and effective travel, compression, rebound, and lockout adjustments. And the price is pretty reasonable. :)

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Vanilla, all the way!

It's just as plush as the Z1, about a pound lighter, and will give you better geometry for general all-mountain riding. Just upgrade to the next heavier spring and, if you can, tinker with compression a little bit. There's not a significant enough difference between two spring weights to hinder small bump compliance, but it will make a difference towards the end of the stroke, as far as bottoming out goes.

You can tinker with the rebound too. A little slow for XC, fast for ripping downhill, way slow for urban and DJ.

The Vanilla is the fork you want. But if you want a new one, get a Pike. Oh, no you can't, no std. dropouts. Get an 04 Sherman Firefly on closeout. Not as tall or heavy as the Z1, but a little heavier than a Vanilla.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.