Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am shopping for a new fork. I need something with adjustable travel (at least 100 to 120mm) that is near 4lbs and a good trail/XC fork.

I am 150lbs, 5 foot 9, and am currently riding a Ventana El Saltamontes in 5" mode. I am buying a set of 4" rockers for this bike as well, and plan to swap back and forth, depending on where I will be riding (we have plenty of smooth singletrack around here that is just more fun on a 4" bike-I plan to use the 4" rockers and the fork in 100mm mode about 70% of the time). I am looking for a fairly plush fork that can handle all trail obstacles.

Here are the choices I have narrowed down to:

2005 Fox TALAS RLC:
2005 Marzocchi Marathon SL
2005 Marzocchi Marathon XC
2005 Answer Minute 3:00

Overall, here is what I have gathered so far-the TALAS sounds good, but I have heard that it is a poor choice for lighter riders (at least was the 2004 model-blows through mid-travel and ramps up too quick). Is this true about the TALAS, or is the 2005 improved and the fork can be tuned by PUSH to meet my needs eventually? The Marz SL is probably a great fork, but travel isn't adjustable on the fly (not sure how I would use the neg. air pressure to do so-doesn't that control rebound?). The Marz XC is very expensive and heavier than the rest, but likely the best performer out there. The Minute 3:00 is adjustable very easily, but doesn't seem to be as well regarded as the others.

Any opinions? Thanks for your time!

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
chiho said:
Hi. I am shopping for a new fork. I need something with adjustable travel (at least 100 to 120mm) that is near 4lbs and a good trail/XC fork.

I am 150lbs, 5 foot 9, and am currently riding a Ventana El Saltamontes in 5" mode. I am buying a set of 4" rockers for this bike as well, and plan to swap back and forth, depending on where I will be riding (we have plenty of smooth singletrack around here that is just more fun on a 4" bike-I plan to use the 4" rockers and the fork in 100mm mode about 70% of the time). I am looking for a fairly plush fork that can handle all trail obstacles.

2005 Fox TALAS RLC:

Overall, here is what I have gathered so far-the TALAS sounds good, but I have heard that it is a poor choice for lighter riders (at least was the 2004 model-blows through mid-travel and ramps up too quick). Is this true about the TALAS, or is the 2005 improved and the fork can be tuned by PUSH to meet my needs eventually? The Marz SL is probably a great fork, but travel isn't adjustable on the fly (not sure how I would use the neg. air pressure to do so-doesn't that control rebound?). The Marz XC is very expensive and heavier than the rest, but likely the best performer out there. The Minute 3:00 is adjustable very easily, but doesn't seem to be as well regarded as the others.

Also might consider the Reba UTurn as it is close to your travel requirements and has adjustable travel.

No experience on your choices except the TALAS. I'm heavier than you (195), but I can't imagine why the TALAS wouldn't work well for lighter riders as you set it up via air pressure. I have an 05 TALAS and I have found it to not have the mid-stroke wallow at all, I find it to be very linear as well. I use up all the travel, but I've never felt it bottom at all.

My TALAS is stock, but PUSH can certainly tweak it for your needs. The big downside to me on the TALAS is the cost. However, I ended up deciding that I'd rather get what I wanted the first time then skimp and end up doing another fork switch down the road.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
The Talas is the only pushable one

chiho said:

2005 Fox TALAS RLC:

And it can be tuned to YOU. The 05' Talas benefits from the new fox damper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.