Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have traveled with Backroads twice(Utah and Death Valley) and each time I loved it. The food was impeccable, the planning was outstanding; in short, there was nothing wrong with the trip. But over the years prices have increased for their trips, and a 6 day camping trip now costs $1698 I believe.....it was $798 if memory serves when I went to Utah in 1997.

Does anyone have any good ideas for alternatives to Backroads? I have looked at Western Spirit also, though have never booked with them.

TIA for any ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
Western Spirit rocks. I've never been on a trip with them but have several friends that have taken lots of different trips with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CycleMainiac said:
Western Spirit rocks. I've never been on a trip with them but have several friends that have taken lots of different trips with them.
Western Spirit is currently at the top of my list, as Backroads has become ridiculously priced for camping vacations. Yes, I love good food and camping, but not at $300/day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
brianthebiker said:
Western Spirit is currently at the top of my list, as Backroads has become ridiculously priced for camping vacations. Yes, I love good food and camping, but not at $300/day.
My bf just went on a trip with Western Spirit in September and was very happy with them. Has actually considered doing another one with them next year. It was a 4-day trip you should pm him if you have questions.
His username is miSSionary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bikergal said:
My bf just went on a trip with Western Spirit in September and was very happy with them. Has actually considered doing another one with them next year. It was a 4-day trip you should pm him if you have questions.
His username is miSSionary.
Thanks Bikergal......I have heard many good things about Western Spirit. Almost booked with them this past year but drove to Maine instead, with hiking, no biking. Now am looking at planning a trip with my gf to UT, CO, or AZ.

Thinking about some of these:

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-sonoran_desert/sonoran_desert.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-bryce_to_zion/bryce_to_zion.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-telluride_to_moab/telluride_to_moab.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-fruita/fruita.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-maze6day/maze6day.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
western spirit

brianthebiker said:
Western Spirit is currently at the top of my list, as Backroads has become ridiculously priced for camping vacations. Yes, I love good food and camping, but not at $300/day.
Not sure whether it says good or bad things about my life, but I've been on 10 to 12 Western Spirit trips. Can't say enough good things about 'em. Stick to the more difficult trips and you'll get a hardier crew and do more riding and less standing around, if you care about that.

The food is great, no "sacrifice" there compared to Backroads. Stay near the Groover if you're going to drink the cowboy coffee, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wunderhorn said:
The food is great, no "sacrifice" there compared to Backroads.
Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear.

Also, if anyone has traveled with any other group, I would love to hear it.....I am sure there are more than 2 groups out there willing to take our travel dollars;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
Western Spirit Rocks!!

I second these openions, going with Western Spirit will make you very happy, can't imagine anyone could run a better trip!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Western Spirit All The Way

They are so awesome...and they make the best "cowboy" coffee I've ever had...
Not to mention, they are one of the few companies who do East Coast trips...
GO WESTERN SPIRIT
 

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
brianthebiker said:
Thanks Bikergal......I have heard many good things about Western Spirit. Almost booked with them this past year but drove to Maine instead, with hiking, no biking. Now am looking at planning a trip with my gf to UT, CO, or AZ.

Thinking about some of these:

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-sonoran_desert/sonoran_desert.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-bryce_to_zion/bryce_to_zion.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-telluride_to_moab/telluride_to_moab.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-fruita/fruita.html

http://www.westernspirit.com/trips/mtb-maze6day/maze6day.html
I did their Brian Head Singletracker trip late August. Absolutely drop-dead gorgeous scenery, fabulous food, great riding companions and terrrific guides - one of my best trips ever. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and definitely recommend it if you're a strong intermediate or expert rider. I'd post my pictures, but my computer ate them. :^(........ May be able to get them off the hard drive if I can get it rigged up as a 2nd drive in the new computer, when the new one shows up (separate computer horror story here).

I also did the Idaho trip, which was quite nice, and I'll probably do one of their trips next year, though I haven't decided which one.

Kathy :^)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts
Maybe not what you're looking for but my wife and I did a few tours with Iguana Mama (Google 'em) when we were in the Dominican Republic. We couldn't go on the expert MTB tour because of mudslides but the other 2 bike tours and snorkelling trip we went on were great. I highly recommend them if you're ever in that part of the world.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dir-T said:
Maybe not what you're looking for but my wife and I did a few tours with Iguana Mama (Google 'em) when we were in the Dominican Republic. We couldn't go on the expert MTB tour because of mudslides but the other 2 bike tours and snorkelling trip we went on were great. I highly recommend them if you're ever in that part of the world.
Thanks for the suggestion. For now, we are looking out west, probably UT or CO, though there is a nice AZ desert tour too.

When I was in Nepal several years ago, I did a day ride to the Nagarjun Forest Reserve(long climb), and it is still one of my most memorable rides. Beautiful views from up top. If anyone is going to Nepal anytime soon, try to get this in.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top