Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
. . .
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a decent quality 8 speed compatible crankset (ideally in black) at around the XT 2005 Shimano crankset level/price. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Any Crank You Want

For all intents and purposes there is no difference between 8 and 9 spd cranks. Any crank currently available (or made in the last 25 yrs for that matter) will work with your 8 spd drivetrain.
 

·
. . .
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shayne said:
For all intents and purposes there is no difference between 8 and 9 spd cranks. Any crank currently available (or made in the last 25 yrs for that matter) will work with your 8 spd drivetrain.
Are chainrings 8/9spd specific? I should have specified crankset/chainset as I think the term used is different in the US/UK?
 

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
Joined
·
4,730 Posts
Not Really

9 spd rings are slightly different but they work fine with 8spd drivetrains and vice versa...6/7/8 spd rings work fine with 9 spd drivetrains.

The sky's the limit on your choices.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
konaChu said:
Cool, thanks for the reply. Looking into the Shimano Hone crankset at the moment.

I have the new M760 XT on my otherwise 8 speed drivetrain and it's working great. The Hone should work equally as well. The only thing I would say is to make sure to check chainline. Shimano instructions have you setup for 50mm chainline. I put the bb spacer on the nondrive side for 47.5mm chainline. That lined it up same as my previous setup so I didn't have to adjust my front derailleur limit stops.
 

·
. . .
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Homebrew said:
I have the new M760 XT on my otherwise 8 speed drivetrain and it's working great. The Hone should work equally as well. The only thing I would say is to make sure to check chainline. Shimano instructions have you setup for 50mm chainline. I put the bb spacer on the nondrive side for 47.5mm chainline. That lined it up same as my previous setup so I didn't have to adjust my front derailleur limit stops.
Just ordered the Hone 44/32/22 175mm crankset - do you use an 8sp chain with your XT crankset btw? I have a new PC68 chain I'd like to use, but can swap it out for a 9sp one if needed.
 

·
Do It Yourself
Joined
·
5,720 Posts
konaChu said:
Just ordered the Hone 44/32/22 175mm crankset - do you use an 8sp chain with your XT crankset btw? I have a new PC68 chain I'd like to use, but can swap it out for a 9sp one if needed.
Yes, I'm using 8 speed chains. But if you do go with a 9 speed chain, stick with SRAM. They are a bit wider than the Shimano 9 speed chains.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top