Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Old Punk
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about bought a mavic tn719/shimano xt 36 hole wheelset today, but, I figured I should ask about them first. I'm replacing the stock set on my '09 rockhopper (21") that gets the holy hell ridden out of it at times, but mostly xc. I'm 6'3" 210lbs and don't really want to step up to a dh/am rim, too heavy for what I ride.
What other combos in this pricerange should I be looking at? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Orion Cycles is a great builder and cheap too. I'm not sure if he is still building but me and a friend both have a set and both are true. Very well build rims and a very low cost.

I got white Stan's Flows around Hope Pro II Hubs with DT Comp spokes and alloy nipples, Rim tape, valve stems and sealant for $500 shipped.

G

·
+1 on Orion. He is still building...just got my Flows this week. Prices are great but build times are long as he is very busy.

I did Flows/Hopes/SuperComps/Alloy ProLocks, tape and valves for $540 shipped. Took about six weeks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Flows +100
I went budget on mine and had the shop build with x7 hubs for $400 but wish I'd spent more for the ztr hubs. Bombproof for me so far and I got at least 10 lbs on you.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
davidcarson48 said:
+1 on Orion. He is still building...just got my Flows this week. Prices are great but build times are long as he is very busy.

I did Flows/Hopes/SuperComps/Alloy ProLocks, tape and valves for $540 shipped. Took about six weeks.
Yeah it took about 4 weeks a year ago. He takes a while but his build quality is 10/10 and it'll be hard to beat his prices.

·
Never Satisfied...
629 Posts
Hope Pro 2 hubs
DT Swiss Comp spokes
DT Swiss nipples
Stan's Flow rims

Get this built up by a decent wheel builder, and you will have a tough wheelset for years.... I'm 225-230 lbs and have a set like this on my FS 29er and my HT SS 29er....

Awesome set-up!!!

Good luck!

·
Old Punk
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks for all the responses!:thumbsup: Sounds like flows/ztr or hope combo is what I need. Regardless, I've got some research to do.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
i went from tn719/xt to hope/flows set up tubeless and difference was night and day hopes flows are out of commission right now and I got the Mavics fixed for cheap so am on those and am missing them greatly. tubeless set upo really worth it alone IMO.

·
Dickhouse
299 Posts
Orion Cycles! Just ordered a set of Stan's Crest from them and they were at my door a week later. I wanted some custom options, black spokes and nipples and the lighter gage spokes, which came to $540 on NoTubes.com, Orion did them for $410!! Great Deal. Also, dropped 2 lbs from my bike.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Azonic are now offering the Outlaw wheelset in 9er for $350. Great set for the money, I have a set on a 26er bike. They are a little heavier but not that bad really and can take serious abuse.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just picked up set of Sun Ringle Charger Pro's for 450 shipped. They have good reviews, and they tag them as XC/AM wheels, around 1800 grams, and comes with options for qr/15/20mm ta forks. They have straight pull spokes - which is good in some cases but not as easy to get.

I've heard good things about sr hubs too, these I think have 72 engagement points which is pretty good for this price range. If there as good as the dirty flea hubs then they'll be mint.

G

·
dickt3030 said:
Orion Cycles! Just ordered a set of Stan's Crest from them and they were at my door a week later. I wanted some custom options, black spokes and nipples and the lighter gage spokes, which came to $540 on NoTubes.com, Orion did them for $410!! Great Deal. Also, dropped 2 lbs from my bike.
Which hubs did you get?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.