Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm going with the Hope Pro2/DT 5.1D combo tommorrow. If someone has done more R&D and would recommend something else (+/- the $450 by a bit is ok), let me know. As you may know, I'm wanting the lightest wheelset possible for aggressive XC and light FR for my 160 pounds of lean, ripped, body mass.:D

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I would go Hadley hubs, Mavic 823's and DT Swiss spokes. Should be around that figure with some shopping around. Have had two sets, been the bomb... Would handle your lean, mean ripped fighting machine body mass for sure.......Good luck

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Whafe said:
I would go Hadley hubs, Mavic 823's and DT Swiss spokes. Should be around that figure with some shopping around. Have had two sets, been the bomb... Would handle your lean, mean ripped fighting machine body mass for sure.......Good luck
Not even close. I don't know any wheel builders who would be anywhere close to $450 for that setup. More like $580-$600 range from places who are generally considered to have very good prices and $700 range from shops who charge msrp for them.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
Pothole said:
Ok, unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm going with the Hope Pro2/DT 5.1D combo tommorrow. If someone has done more R&D and would recommend something else (+/- the $450 by a bit is ok), let me know. As you may know, I'm wanting the lightest wheelset possible for aggressive XC and light FR for my 160 pounds of lean, ripped, body mass.:D
Not $450, and we're totally opposite body types (I'm 260lbs of not quite lean, I think there's ripped body mass somewhere in there...), but these are going for less than when I bought them. They'll be a little heavier than the Hope/5.1 combo, but are a wider and heavier-duty rim and tubeless compatible. The DT Hubs are a little heavier, weight difference between the DT's and Hopes is likely less than 65 grams combined F & R. If your riding's gonna be more freeride and/or you are considering running fatty, tubeless tires, these would probably be a good choice. If you're definitely more of a XC guy, you might be better off with the lighter wheelset. Just another option.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Pothole said:
Those would be an excellent choice. In that price range Hope is making the best stuff out there in my opinion.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
My mistake Larry, he could source the bits from eBay if he was that way inclined......

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
ebay? yikes! nice thing to say to a guy who makes his livin sellin parts to folks and consistantly offers solid advice to many on this site. dont get me wrong. its not like most of us dont do ebay but thats a bit "in yer face", isnt it?

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
CC, was never to be intended that way at Larry. I dont do the eBay thing.. Was sort of recovering from my fopar. I originally meant that he could try eBay to get those components for the money he was wanting to spend.. Larry rightly so, made the correction, cause I didnt mention the eBay words...

Larry, never anything in ya face I assure you

·
12,942 Posts
i understand. was cool of ya to say somethin man. hope i didnt come off to holy. its just a respect thing i have for shop folk.

pot, larrys a very good bet for custom wheels at a more than fair price. unless ya already have a guy workin this thing for ya, give him a shout. yer spec is a very good one despite my well known distaste for hope usa's c.s.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the great advice. Those Easton wheels have all the right numbers..pretty interesting...although I couldn't get my red hubs if I go that route ;) I think I've got enough positives on this Hope/5.1 set from you forum heavies to get them ordered up.

Stay tuned for the 'Pothole Brakeset Selection Discussion--Part 3'...(to potentially border on a term cactuscorn coined from a PCinSC thread)..'analysis paralysis' later in the week...i love that term btw..but the stoppers are the last big piece of the build and are giving me fits as to choice..

·
12,942 Posts
did i say that? i didnt think i was that clever. sounds like its commin together for ya pot. now just get the louise's and be done. its the 1st hydro that impressed me overall. cant wait for spring so i can use em again.

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
184 Posts
Got my hope proII/DT5.1's from Larry a little while back (I think at around that price) - LOVE EM - Go for it!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cactuscorn said:
did i say that? i didnt think i was that clever. sounds like its commin together for ya pot. now just get the louise's and be done. its the 1st hydro that impressed me overall. cant wait for spring so i can use em again.
Sorry CC, my bad. That was indeed someone else that coined that....

·
12,942 Posts
no worries man. just didnt wanna take credit for somethin that wasnt mine. specially somethin that was acctually funny.

so who ya doin yer shoppin with?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cactuscorn said:
no worries man. just didnt wanna take credit for somethin that wasnt mine. specially somethin that was acctually funny.

so who ya doin yer shoppin with?
I'm kinda all over the map. Picked up the frame from Red Barn, scored the fork in near mint condition from a forumite, picking up some bits and pieces from various LBS here in Boise, and now trying to narrow in on a wheelbuilder. I've been riding mtb's a long time, 20+ years, and I'm without a bike shop in town. Back when I was racing and all that there was a shop, Moo Cycles that was my home base but it was sold several years ago so I'm kinda floating. There are some great bike shops here in town, but none of them have that vibe where you can just kinda hang out and shoot the sh*t all day feel like Moo did.

·
12,942 Posts
the barn guys seem like real good folks and i hear good things about the wheel build quality that comes outta there. ive met larry, ridden with him and hung out in his shop with beer in hand. hes top rate and so is his rep. yould like it there.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Chad and Larry can not be beat for price and both are genuine guys - as is Dave at redstone (not to be confused with red barn!) Chad went the extra mile for me last week overnighting a part from Montana to NJ - as for wheels I got hope ProIIs laced to Mavic 823's for my RFX - a little more than $450 but not much more.......that would be my selection (unless you can get a Hope Bulb rear to match a ProII front for colour.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.