Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Marzocchi Z1 for around that price. Is anyone riding the Z1 on the Reign? What other forks are there in that price range that would be good for the Reign? Any input would be great!

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Im riding an '05 Z.1 FRIII its a no frills Z1 on my Yakuza and I love it. The valving is awesome it really takes hits of all shapes and sizes really well.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
36 Vanillas can be had for $400-500 if you look a little and are willing to buy used. They're great forks. I've got a Vanilla RC2 and have been very happy with it. It feels much better than the 36 Talas I demoed. The Z.1 line is solid too, and the 150mm Travis isn't bad, though a bit heavy.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
888 is excessive for the reign. 66 may be a bit much too. Pike and Z1 are good choices if you like to go up AND down.
I agree that an 888 or 66 would be too much, though I'd want somthing a little taller than a Pike. A guy I ride with has a Reign with a Nixon, and it feels a bit steeper than I'd like.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
well, if you dont like the nixon, then you might want more than 6" because nixons have 145mm. the z.1 is a good choice though. I couldent imagine a reign with over 5" though, thats just madness. but the travis single is one sick fork. manitou shermans can be had for really cheap.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
todd_freeride said:
well, if you dont like the nixon, then you might want more than 6" because nixons have 145mm. the z.1 is a good choice though. I couldent imagine a reign with over 5" though, thats just madness. but the travis single is one sick fork. manitou shermans can be had for really cheap.
If I remember correctly, the Nixons are fairly short a-c for a fork of their travel. The Reign has been spec'd with everythign from a Nixon to a 36. I'd run a 36 on it if I was to get one. 5" would definatly be too short.

·
%$#$*!
811 Posts
chibow said:
I BOught a 2005 Many Firefly on ebay brand new for 250...150mm of travel. How do you think that compares to the 66?
I've run a 03 firefly 130mm and a 05 flick+ 150mm and while I really liked them, my 06 66SL is a much stiffer and burlier fork. The RC2 damping feels better to me than the TPC+, but the TPC+ isn't too shabby either. the 05 firefly probably uses spv so it's a whole different beast.

Not sure what the original poster's riding style or preference is but the Z1 would be a good choice if you're doing a lot of climbing and prefer coil. Keep in mind the 05 and 06 Z1's have different dampings systems, HSCV vs. RC2.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Hardtails Are Better said:
If I remember correctly, the Nixons are fairly short a-c for a fork of their travel. The Reign has been spec'd with everythign from a Nixon to a 36. I'd run a 36 on it if I was to get one. 5" would definatly be too short.
you're probably right. because I have a 130mm splice, and it rides like a 100mm travel fork. also my 90mm stance static, is a really small fork (best fork ever though lol)

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Marzocchi Z1 fr sl

Thanks guys,

I went with the Z1 fr sl o6 model. Picked up some Azonic Outlaws also. Now I just need to get my rear shock back from Fox and I can get to riding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.