Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
let freedom ring!
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Marzocchi Z1 for around that price. Is anyone riding the Z1 on the Reign? What other forks are there in that price range that would be good for the Reign? Any input would be great!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Get Lost said:
I am looking at the Marzocchi Z1 for around that price. Is anyone riding the Z1 on the Reign? What other forks are there in that price range that would be good for the Reign? Any input would be great!
You should easily be able to get a Marzocchi AM1 or AM SL which would be a good fork easily in that price range. Head's up that the '06 is a QR and the '07 is a 20mm thru axle. Also, look into the Rock Shox Lyrik. If you look online and on ebay, you should be able to find one for that price.

I've got a Fox 36 TALAS, but it's price is ridiculously high.

EBX

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i have a z1 light eta on mine and i love it... i know a guy selling a 06 36 van rc2 for $525 if you're interested...he doesn't have that many rides on it since he has a bunch of bikes.. i paid about $600 for my z1 and do'nt regret it one bit.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I recently installed a 2006 All Mountain 1 130-150mm ($425 on e-bay) on my 2005 Reign 3 (wheelworld custom) and like it a lot.

One thing I really apreciate is the ETA feature as the front will get a bit light on steep climbs when all the way out at 150mm travel.

An 06 Z1 Light w/ETA seems like an ideal fork if you feel the need for 20mm axles. Otherwise I would opt for either the All Mountan 1 or All Mountain SL.

Get the 130-150mm travel model. I briefly tried the 110-130mm travel model and IMHO the longer travel is a better fit for the Reign.

Here's a pic to give you an idea of how it fits the bike :D .

Attachments

·
grade A procrastinator
142 Posts
finally got my Z1FR SL dialed!

This fork works beautifully with the reign. I have an 06 r2 and the manitou nixon was good, but with the z1 on my reign, OMG, lovelines :p . got it for 425 from the greenfishsports online store. if it's in stock, they might have it priced even better. it took me a while to get it dialed in correctly, maybe a month before i was totally comfortable. but i had never dealt with a fork like this before as i'm pretty new to mb'ing (4 months in). how bout a reign as a first bike purchase? nice!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
I just had a friend put that same fork on his '03 Kona Dawg. Redicuously firm out of the box. He didn't put any additional air pressure in it and actually let all the pressure out of it just to get "some" sag. Given the extra slack head angle, it's affecting his climbing and turning on tight twisties. But on plus side, it's breaking in nicely and will hold up well with his 240 lb. weight. He also had to change his breaks out to accomodate for the 20 mm. axle.

·
grade A procrastinator
142 Posts
not if you put almost no air in it and have patience. mine took about a month and endless tweaking to feel cadillac plush. there were some moments where i actually thought of putting up on e-bay. now that it's dialed in correctly and somewhat broken in i'm loving it. but yes it does have an rc2 cartridge on the right leg that handles high speed damping.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.