Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have quotes on two wheelsets in the $375 range (shipped), but am having trouble deciding which to go with. I weigh 140 lbs, ride lots of rocky, rooty wet singletrack, ride fast but am not a hucker. Would like to give DIY tubeless a shot (gasp!). Wheels will go on a custom steel 29er with a squishy fork.

Contender #1 claimed weight 1997 grams
Hope Bulb Disc Rear
Hope XC Disc Front
DT Supercomp Spokes
Alloy Nips
Ritchey Girder Pro/Trekking Rims

Contender #2 at claimed weight 2142 grams
DT 340 Disc Hubs
DT Comp Spokes
Alloy Nips
DT TK 7.1 Rims

I have had good luck with Hope hubs before- good seals, easy DIY maintenance, lots of color choices. Anybody have experience with Ritchey claimed rim weights?

No doubt that the DT rims are sweet, but if the claimed weights are accurate, they're a good bit heavier. I think the 340 hubs are pretty similar to the 240s except with less machining and maybe lower quality bearings?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know what you think already onegearguy! And thanks for the Shins tix- great show.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Sigh, doesn't anyone have an answer to the guys question?

I think indede the actual weight on the Ritchey sets might end up higher, though I lack info what those rims do weight. I like the idea of DT rims, and the thicker spokes towards that hiher weight. with your riding style, a bit of extra rim might not hurt anyway.
I always wanted a Hope rear wheel, but when I ordered the hub, the distributor didn't come through, and I gave up. Always seemed like a great weight/price/quality, especially considering the cassette body isn't made of alu, for possible singlespeed use.
Do realize Supercomp spokes require thinner nipples, which in combination with a light rim could reach their maximum stress resistance at some point (strips threads). Just theory, no experience, just trying to help where others will rather you on something else, even if it could be a better offer. Both Mike's rock, but you already did your own research.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Singletrack Pig said:
So I have quotes on two wheelsets in the $375 range (shipped), but am having trouble deciding which to go with. I weigh 140 lbs, ride lots of rocky, rooty wet singletrack, ride fast but am not a hucker. Would like to give DIY tubeless a shot (gasp!). Wheels will go on a custom steel 29er with a squishy fork.

Contender #1 claimed weight 1997 grams
Hope Bulb Disc Rear
Hope XC Disc Front
DT Supercomp Spokes
Alloy Nips
Ritchey Girder Pro/Trekking Rims

Contender #2 at claimed weight 2142 grams
DT 340 Disc Hubs
DT Comp Spokes
Alloy Nips
DT TK 7.1 Rims

I have had good luck with Hope hubs before- good seals, easy DIY maintenance, lots of color choices. Anybody have experience with Ritchey claimed rim weights?

No doubt that the DT rims are sweet, but if the claimed weights are accurate, they're a good bit heavier. I think the 340 hubs are pretty similar to the 240s except with less machining and maybe lower quality bearings?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I know what you think already onegearguy! And thanks for the Shins tix- great show.
if you want the 240s hubs, give mike garcia at oddsandendos.com a call. i asked about a set of 240s/dt tk7.1 wheels....his pirce was pretty awesome. it won't be much more than you $375 limit.

i was ready to order a set but i have a VERY tight budget on my 2nd ss 29er, so a skipped out. i ended up buying a set of classic hubs off the marketplace and am having them laced to a set of tk7.1 rims with probably supercomps. the wheels should be a tad under 1900g. i can't wait to try out the dt rim.

also, the hope hubs are a great alternative if you want something beefy. you are light, so i doubt you need beefy hubs, but the engagment is pretty quick on them. try giving larry mettler a call at mtnhighcyclery.com. he can build you a sweet set of wheels with the dt rims (he probably has some in stock) and the hope hubs. i betcha he can do it for right about $375 with the bulb hubSET.

oh, and if you can wait a few weeks, hope is goingto replace the bulb hubset with the pro II hubset. they will have the same engagement speed but they will be about the same weight as king iso hubsets. they sound pretty good.

cheers!

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you true your own wheels, go with the second choice. Supercomp spokes twist a lot and take a lot more time to true if you like your wheels tight. Also consider brass nipples - they turn better and last longer for only a few extra grams.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you true your own wheels, go with the second choice. Supercomp spokes twist and take much more time to true if you like your wheels tight. Also consider brass nipples - they turn better and last longer for only a few extra grams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.