Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right place to post this Q...
I'm looking for the highest volume tires possible for my gen 1 salsa fargo. The dirt riding I do is not particularly technical. Dirt roads and fire trails mostly. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm looking, too.

I ride a lot of pavement, but it's full of potholes and gravel, so slicks are out of the question. When I'm off-pavement, it's generally fire roads.

Schwalbe Smart Sams are highly rated and cheap... I'm leaning that direction.

·
Trail Ninja
6,167 Posts
Are the budget race kings still horrible compared to the premium race kings with ProTection and Black Chili?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Last race king I owned had paper thin sidewalls that leaked sealant constantly...months of holding air for a night. I'd opt for the protection

·
Registered
322 Posts
Maxxis cross roads,,fast and work great on the dirt...my fav!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I hope this is the right place to post this Q...
I'm looking for the highest volume tires possible for my gen 1 salsa fargo. The dirt riding I do is not particularly technical. Dirt roads and fire trails mostly. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Nanoraptor if you can still find them. I got a set on my bikepacking bike. They roll nicely and dirt traction is decent. Other suggestions... Hutchinson Python, Kenda Karma, Kenda Small Block 8.

I had Python Airlites on my 26er racerboy bike back in the day. You could count the rides I got out of those on one hand before they were bald down the middle... and I'm pretty good about not skidding. I think the 29er regular wire bead ones I have are made of a harder compound. Nashbar had the wire 29er version for like $12 each for a while.

*edit*

..... and still $12 today!

Hutchinson Python 29" Mountain Tire - Dig In HUGE SAVINGS While Items Last

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
Nanoraptor if you can still find them. I got a set on my bikepacking bike. They roll nicely and dirt traction is decent. Other suggestions... Hutchinson Python, Kenda Karma, Kenda Small Block 8.

I had Python Airlites on my 26er racerboy bike back in the day. You could count the rides I got out of those on one hand before they were bald down the middle... and I'm pretty good about not skidding. I think the 29er regular wire bead ones I have are made of a harder compound. Nashbar had the wire 29er version for like $12 each for a while.

*edit*

I would add the Maxxis Crossmark and Specialized Fast Trak LK to that list that are still off road tires, but roll pretty well on the road. The Specialized Captain has a pretty road-friendly tread design too.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Kenda slant six rolls well on pavement and gravel and also do well in rougher stuff when lowering the pressure. Not sure about tread life but they are cheap. I believe they can be had in 1.8 or 2.0. Kendra's website lists a 2.35 but I cannot find them for sale anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
973 Posts

*edit*

just a follow-up re the NANO Raptor...WTB has dropped the Raptor part of the tires name and it is now just NANO...they are available in both tubeless compatible or tube type...I currently own the tube version and it works very well for hard pack type trail conditions...not so good on snotty roots, rocks and the like :nono:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Race Kings! I have over 2100 miles on my set of Race Kings and they have a lot of pavement miles yet the rear is still usable on the trail even though the knobs are definitely a lot shorter. I'm also running them tubeless with Orange Seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'll be researching the range of options and will, someday, pull the trigger!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Halo Twin Rail II's. Just did a 56 mile run on them today, averaging 20-21 mph on some stages. Mind you, I have a heavy Genesis 29er MTB. Lower the pressure to 45, and they eat then dirt up. Not bad for a tire that had me eating the skinny racing bikes all day long.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 on the Slant Six I got them as stock tires on my Raleigh Talus 29er and they have worked for all the Terrain excpet for wet/muddy/very loose terrain. Planning on getting a Small Block 8 for the rear.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Bonrtrager XR1 roll FAST. When I had them on my XC bike (full suspension 29er--Trek Superfly 100) I could go almost as fast as on my road bike. If you are doing anything paved/XC I'd recommend those.

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
I would +1 the SB8s or Karmas. I ran the older nano raptors and couldn't stand them. The were good on road, but seemed to always washout off road.

Just my $0.02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts