Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Designated Bleeder
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shopping for 29ers lately but have seen some conflicting views on what the best one is for tight New England style singletrack. Many say short chainstays are better but I have heard really good things about Vassago's geometry, which essentially, is the exact opposite.

Anybody got experience aboard a 29er in New England want to weigh in? Right now I am trying to decide between the Vassago Bandersnatch, the Voodoo Aizan, the Redline d660, Niner EMD and the Niner SIR9. Any other suggestions?

Thanks...

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
I'm not sure if you consider Long Island to be New England grade singletrack, but I'm ridin' a Stumpjumper FSR 29er and it seems to me to be the weapon of choice. I did however, step up from a 17 year old hardtail with 26" wheels, so anything was a step up.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Clearance...

Go for a frame that will give you good tire clearance like a KM or a Niner. The ability to run fatter tires on the rocky NE trails is nice.

Short CS vs. long CS. Both have their benefits.

Short: better traction and maneuverability.

Long: smooths out rougher trails better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.