Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 31.8mm handlebar (flat or rise) with very good damping properties against vibrations for my painful wrists. "Ibis Carbon" (Adjustable Width) is one suggestion. Could use a few more, carbon or not. Under $250.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Also consider backsweep. PNW bars has 10° backsweep and uses a less stiff aluminum. SQLab makes them with either 12 or 16° backsweep in both aluminum and carbon. People with hands and elbow issues swear by an increase backsweep for comfort, I'm one of them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Look at Oneup Components. They have a deal with a stem, bar and grip combo for less than your entire price max. Have a buddy that has one and he really likes it.

·
EDR
10,037 Posts
People spend $250+ on handlebars? At that price point the world is your oyster. Although none of that means your hands will feel better. Mountain biking is a rough and jiggly sport.

I guess the best you can do is get some carbon bars. I've had several carbon and many aluminum bars and I honestly can't say I've ever noticed and appreciable difference in damping. in fact it's never crossed my mind once while actually riding, only when chatting about it on the internet. However I'm not sensitive to that issue.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
A different thought: I have a friend who struggles with wrist pain / hand numbness and he is serious considering trying revgrips. I have no experience with them, but they at least seem like an interesting idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Renthal FatBar Lite carbon is well under your price limit and the 40mm rise I put on my rigid SS made a huge difference in comfort compared to the very stiff alloy bar it replaced.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just got my first ride in on a OneUp carbon bar today. Very happy with it. 35mm clamp that tapers quickly to 31.8 for more compliance. No wrist or hand pain after 10 miles of New England roots and rocks (on a hardtail with 120mm fork). Great bars for $138.

·
EXORCIZE
2,239 Posts
Carbon and don't cut it. Syntace has a 780mm bar with 35mm rise, I've had two of their bars, noticeably compliant. I've also liked Enve and Race Face.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,754 Posts
Spank vibrocore is probably your best bet.
I've had some Spank Vibrocores on my singlespeed for about 18 months and about 6 months ago tried some RF Turbine 35's for about 4 rides before going back to the Spanks. (I just dig the blue of the Spank bars).

I did not notice any major difference in vibration damping.
I used Ergon GA2 grips, FWIW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts