Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am currently running my steel hardtail with a 2.8" DHF in the front and a 2.8" DHR II in the rear. The rear tire has several tears in it, so I'm currently running tubes.

I want to switch back to tubeless, which obviously means I'll need a new tire. I know I want to try a 2.6" width, but I'm not sure which tire I want to go with yet. The DHR II has tons of grip, but I feel like a little less rolling resistance would be nice.

What would you guys recommend? I ride Georgia trails, which means lots of roots and flow. Some of the trails get pretty slippery when wet. I think the Maxxis Aggressor would be perfect if they sold it in a 2.6" width.

I popped my tire and 2 tubes while in Colorado riding rocky trails, so I think I want to go with a 60tpi casing instead of a 120tpi one for times that I travel to trails like that.

Also, do you think I am making the right decision switching to 2.6" in the rear. I already have a 35mm rim in the back so fit won't be an issue.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I assume you're referring to 27.5 tires. If you put a narrower tire on a 35mm rim, you'll be exposing more of the side wall. The drh is a pretty heavy tire to start with. Could it be an issue of running to high of psi?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah they're 27.5. 35mm is the perfect width for a 2.6" tire so that won't be a problem. I think my psi was fine. I just went off a drop and landed on a sharp rock.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Haven't tried the Hans but IMO it's hard to beat the DHR2 (dual comp 60tpi) on the rear.
The Hans does look to tick all of the boxes for what you desire however. How about a WTB Trailboss?
I too wish they made the aggressor in a 2.6 or 2.8. Would love to try one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have used the DHR2 and Hans, they are both good but I am on the Bontrager XR4 and think it is a little better on the back if you want a little faster rolling tire then the DHR2.

·
Registered
727 Posts
How about a bontrager se4? It's just like the XR4 but a heavy duty casing. The McFly tough casing measures can run under sized and is a fast roller. It may not have the lugs you are looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
17,090 Posts
HD is just as slow as what you have now, and probably more fragile.

I'd check out the Maxxis Rekon or HRII. I'd stick with 2.8" and dial in your pressures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! I ended up buying another DHR II, but this time in 2.6" width, 60 tpi and dual compound. That way I'll still have plenty of grip, a tougher casing for the occasional rocky trail, and noticeably less rolling resistance.

What pressure would you recommend for this tire on rooty trails? Like 17 psi? I am about 140-145lbs with gear.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I am in Quebec and lucky us we have free roots.
On 40 mm my 2.8 Maxxis Rekon is tough to beat(rear).
If they offer a 2.6 i guess you will love it.
Try 15 PSI and please report on rolling and grip.

·
Cycologist
10,338 Posts
Give the 2.6" Rekon a shot. You really don't need any more of a rear tire than this for GA riding. Most locals will ride with a rear Ikon and watch their rear brakes.
I just put a 2.8 Ikon+ on the rear of my Unit; I have a Mezcal on the back of my full suspension. I'm same area as OP. My rear end breaks loose briefly pretty commonly but then regains traction.

·
Registered
355 Posts
This is so subjective because riding style and desirable characteristics will vary between people more than the terrain.
I personally think you made a good choice - the exact tire I run - if you are like me and value leaning the bike low and ripping through corners. . I love my DHR2 and it's my new "go to" for the rear even though many would say it's overkill for my area trails. FWIW, I weigh 185 and have found 24psi to be quite right for my setup and riding style. Small changes in pressure make a huge difference on the trail. I'm talking like 1/2psi. For your weight, I'd still start higher than 17 and back it down if it's not right. Don't risk a rim ding.
I'd also suggest having another wheelset with different tires available so you can have a different experience when you want or the conditions change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is so subjective because riding style and desirable characteristics will vary between people more than the terrain.
I personally think you made a good choice - the exact tire I run - if you are like me and value leaning the bike low and ripping through corners. . I love my DHR2 and it's my new "go to" for the rear even though many would say it's overkill for my area trails. FWIW, I weigh 185 and have found 24psi to be quite right for my setup and riding style. Small changes in pressure make a huge difference on the trail. I'm talking like 1/2psi. For your weight, I'd still start higher than 17 and back it down if it's not right. Don't risk a rim ding.
I'd also suggest having another wheelset with different tires available so you can have a different experience when you want or the conditions change.
Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.