Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the distinct pleasure of being a new owner of a VP Free, at least I hope it lives up to my expectations based on the parking lot test rides and all the threads I've read here. ;)

Anyway....in trying to work out my part list I've run into somewhat of a stumbling block on the rear hub. I had ordered the Hadley 12mmx150mm for it, which Universal emailed they were out of. After reading many reviews of said hub...this seems to be a good thing as it was the 108pt. engagement version which appears to have many reliability issues - and Hadley has in fact pulled from production (best I can gather).

So all you VP owners.....what do you feel is the best 12x150mm hub out there right now, specifically for the Free and the style of riding it was designed for.

Most important to me is reliability, followed very closely by quick engagement, cost and appearance bottom out selection criteria for me. I own more than 6 sets of CK hubs and wish very much, based on my experience with all of them, that King made a hub that could be used on a Free rear wheel.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Wrong...

Innocent Bystander said:
Hadley with price being no object... of course.
Ask Sparky about his. The seals blow on Hadley hubs. Rebuilds twice a year are common. Mine is getting new bearings after only 8 months. Wait, actually only six...seeing as though my Heckler didn't see action for two. And I road an SS for most of the winter. They are nice to look at but be prepared to do some maintenance....something I don't mind. Just calling it as I see it...:thumbsup:

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
King performance, but not King reliability. No way, no how. I like mine too. However, I know I am going to have to clean it out every two months to keep it working the way it is now. If I can get some Kings for a good price...bye bye Hadley forever. BTW how often do you ride?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speaking of king.....

I just spoke with them "....is there any way to use a king hub on a TA frame...please please pretty please....."

Techie type on the phone intimated...many requests for such..they're listening...and there "might" be something in the future...no time line when or where....but they're looking at it apparently. Of course....a few years back (like 1999) I asked em where their bottom bracket is...and we're still waiting on that ;-)

BTW...I'd have to agree with Indy on the reliability issue with Kings...I have about 7 sets of them on my various bikes, my kid's, wife's etc....not ONE lick of problems with any of them. They do have mucho drag when new....and they cones need to be re-set once if not twice in the first year as they set in...but once that period is over...they've been bomb proof for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.