Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this youtube channel and see that he has moved to a new house with a big plot of property and is now making his own trail network on it. This first video is great. I can't wait to see how it progresses.

https://youtu.be/oF8pnj9pud0

Do any of you have property big enough to make your own trail system?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Love Seth and his videos.

Just a nitpick... "Berm Creek" was the the "riding area" at the OLD house. Literally a back yard trail, just really a drop and a catch berm and a double (the latter of which somehow destroyed Seth). Plus you could huck off a picnic table.

His new house has what looks to my eye like enough land to make trails about a quarter-mile long, and he's calling it "Berm Peak".

I have less property than his original house, so no. I can almost pedal from my home into the local (Oregon State University - managed) forest that has a pretty large trail network, but the access route is unauthorized, so ... also no. It's about a 10-minute drive to get to a legitimate trailhead, so that's what I do.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It looks like his new property is about 5.5 acres -- with some switchbacks, stacked loops, and creative planning, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets at least 1 mile of trails.

Our old house was 2 acres and when I did some rough estimating, I figured we could have had at least 1/4 mile if not more.

Our current house has just under 1/2 acre and my best estimate is it's about 1/10th of a mile doing a loop around the back yard. I've been working towards adding in alternate sections so that more people can ride at once and you can ride multiple laps without hitting the same path each time.

I've been posting updates on progress throughout the spring / summer here:
https://forums.mtbr.com/trail-build...-ground-cover-alternatives-grass-1102197.html

·
Banned
1,328 Posts
A tool for the work and toys for the play,
Cut a little and ride a little every day.....

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,418 Posts
I have some land, and started building trails on it last fall. Unfortunately it snowed before I was able to build a full top-bottom run on my hill, but I will try my best to finish the project in the spring.
Seth's videos inspired me to brave the tick infested woods and embrace some trail building creativity.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have some land, and started building trails on it last fall. Unfortunately it snowed before I was able to build a full top-bottom run on my hill, but I will try my best to finish the project in the spring.
Seth's videos inspired me to brave the tick infested woods and embrace some trail building creativity.
post up some progress pics!

·
29ers Forever
3,418 Posts
post up some progress pics!
I will try to upload some tonight if my phone lets me. The image uploader on here stopped working for me last year.

·
29ers Forever
3,418 Posts
The uploader doesn’t like working on my computer either. I can’t keep trying to sort it out tonight, I have a case brief to write for my Civil Liberties class tomorrow so I should probably start doing that.

I did take some video of the trails to log my progress literally a day before the season’s first snow storm, so I’m thinking about uploading those to YouTube.

Here’s a short video of one of the trails. Nothing is really complete, as I got interrupted by Mother Nature. I will definitely try to finish my plans for them this summer.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have exactly one mile of trail cleared and nearly finished at my house. Hoping to have it finished by this spring when the ground dries out and I'm actually able to ride it. Still have a few small trees to cut, some benching to do, short brush to dig up, and some jumps to build. My land is pretty flat though, so there's no really good hills to climb or descend. I'm hoping to be able to build some rollers on the downhill parts of the trail to help generate some speed.

I have enough land for much more, and maybe one day I'll extend the trail system to get more mileage, but for now getting more is just too much work for one man to do on the weekends in the winter. I'm also trying to keep it kind of short for now so my young daughters can learn to ride on it and actually be able to do the whole loop while they are learning. I'll get some pics of some of the finished sections this weekend and post them up.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The uploader doesn’t like working on my computer either.
I know this site does not play well with larger file sizes. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and have to shrink my images before uploading them.

Also you property looks amazing. I would love to live in a pine forest.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I love watching Seth's Bike Hacks. But do not build anything he shows like he does. Its all janky and likely to injure someone. The idea is there, but the "looks good to me" eyeballing drives my bonkers. Safe angles and radii are well known.

·
29ers Forever
3,418 Posts
I know this site does not play well with larger file sizes. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and have to shrink my images before uploading them.

Thank you! I am thinking about recording more of the trails as I build them this summer. I have some ideas for features and some lines that will seriously suffer from the gopro effect.

·
Registered
499 Posts

About half of my land is a pine forest and I wish it was hardwoods. Stuff drops pine needles on the trail (and my driveway) like you wouldn't believe, and the trees are always shedding limbs and/or falling over. It's not as great as it seems. You can see in the video above that the guy had to rake or blow a ton of pine needles to get the trail down to dirt.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I love watching Seth's Bike Hacks. But do not build anything he shows like he does. Its all janky and likely to injure someone. The idea is there, but the "looks good to me" eyeballing drives my bonkers. Safe angles and radii are well known.
Curious to hear you elaborate on that a little more. All of his Berm Peak stuff looks pretty sound to me.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,829 Posts
I wish I could afford my grandparents place. With a half acre I could build a nice jump line and pump track, and still have plenty of grazing room for a couple horses.

But..even though I have virtually the same job he had in the 70's, I can't afford it :(

So I am buying a van instead :lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts