Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hoping mikesee chimes in...I see a few at the local races, but no fat bike races yet obviously. I'm considering building a super light 26" wheelset somewhere, Mikesee maybe, and if I'm going to blow a bunch of money, I might as well consider everything.

There's nothing really left for me to do to the Otso Voytek, carbon'd everything else. Would like to get them around 1600 grams for the set, just so I can mentally tell myself I removed 1000 grams from my wheels.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have 2 sets of fatbike wheels with Berd spokes. They have worked great for me so far. I run them year round. One set has studded tires for winter, the other has more summer-oriented tires (Juggernaut Pro). The rims are HED big deal, and hubs are Tune Fat King / Fat Kong (which seem to be out of production). Weight is 1500g/set. I had them built by Berd, but I don't love the "machining" Berd does to hubs to radius the spoke holes- it looks a bit like sloppy work with a dremel bit. But apparently it works and if it's an issue, they laced and built them so I'd expect them to warranty the work/parts as well.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 2 sets of fatbike wheels with Berd spokes. They have worked great for me so far. I run them year round. One set has studded tires for winter, the other has more summer-oriented tires (Juggernaut Pro). The rims are HED big deal, and hubs are Tune Fat King / Fat Kong (which seem to be out of production). Weight is 1500g/set. I had them built by Berd, but I don't love the "machining" Berd does to hubs to radius the spoke holes- it looks a bit like sloppy work with a dremel bit. But apparently it works and if it's an issue, they laced and built them so I'd expect them to warranty the work/parts as well.
Man those must have been the most expensive fat wheels ever!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, they weren't cheap but less than you might think. I got the HED wheels used at a good price, the Tune hubs came from R2 for a good price overall, and of course the Berd stuff was full price but still, well less than retail overall. I was able to resell the previous hubs so that helped recoup some cost too.

·
Human Test Subject
1,482 Posts
I have some on my Voytek with Onyx hubs and Light Bicycle rims. They're great with no issues. I've never weighed the wheelset.

They're the only locally made spokes so I like to support them. My aero gravel wheels also have Berd spokes. 32mm wide 40mm deep front and 60mm deep rear with DT 180 hubs and weigh 1240g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.