Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,357 Posts
Do you have a specific question about them?
Just curious if they have held up. I know Dynema is tough stuff, but it just feels like a fiber is going to suffer abrasion over time. Are you still using them?

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Of the few dozen sets of these I've built, I've had very few reports of issues. The following are the ones that come to mind, and all were on different wheelsets.
-One Sapim nipple came loose on a customer's wheel and had to be replaced. Oddly, the replacement nip came loose also. Used a DT Prolock and that solved it. I've been using DT Prolock Hex nips with Berd's ever since, with no reported issues.
-One spoke broke on the metal threaded insert. Berd sent out a replacement.
-One of the loop inserts pulled/worked itself out, so that spoke lost all tension. It was still serviceable tho -- worked an awl through the loop to open it up, slipped in a new insert, and tensioned it back down.

That's all I can think of.

I have two sets of Berd wheels now. May build a third for my bikepacking rig this spring. I love the compliant ride.

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
I think this was asked very early on: do the white Berd spokes get visibly dirty? Also curious if they offer different colors.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
I think this was asked very early on: do the white Berd spokes get visibly dirty? Also curious if they offer different colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I have 2 sets of Berd spokes. One set is on my bike that gets ridden hard and sent on the regular (not that I'm a great rider or anything) and the other set is on my wife's bike and she can't offer any input or wear experience.
Mine have held up fantastically for a long time now, however as I push harder and harder I really do notice the flex in the rear wheel. The rear rim is a heavy duty DH layup CarbonFan rim that should be quite stiff on it's own.
Basically when traction and loads are very high (drop leading into a 40' G-out yesterday for example) my rear wheel flexes to such an extent that I have to stop and make certain that my rear tire isn't flat nor that my rear axle hasn't came loose. It's not really a big deal I guess but it makes me pause and does feel weird.
This sensation has probably happened to me a total of 30-50x in the 18 months or so that I've had these rims, in the past it was very brief, maybe 1 second. This last time it felt loose for like 3-5 seconds, long enough for me to pull over and check the wheel.
Maybe my rear wheel needs to be tensioned?
For trail or XC riding, I'd only purchase Berds. For a light rider, also only Berds.
However for a larger rider (I'm 182#s) doing DH bike park type things I'd either recommend normal spokes, or possibly 36 Berd spoke count in the rear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Are you sure the tension is correct?

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My rear wheel has remained very straight and only been lightly trued 3x I think.

Not sure I have anyone around here I'd trust to tension a Berd wheel.

How would I proceed?

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
My rear wheel has remained very straight and only been lightly trued 3x I think.

Not sure I have anyone around here I'd trust to tension a Berd wheel.

How would I proceed?

Find a shop with a tensiometer and a mechanic that knows how to use it. Ask your riding partners -- they might know of someone.

In the meantime, just squeeze pairs of opposing spokes on all of your wheels to get a baseline. To get the ride characteristics you've described you'll probably be able to feel how loose they are with your bare hands.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Find a shop with a tensiometer and a mechanic that knows how to use it. Ask your riding partners -- they might know of someone.

In the meantime, just squeeze pairs of opposing spokes on all of your wheels to get a baseline. To get the ride characteristics you've described you'll probably be able to feel how loose they are with your bare hands.
Thinking your on to something. When I squeeze the rear spokes compared to my front the rear Berd's seem looser. Will work on this and report back.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts