Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
A few months in now. I've ridden these wheels on three different bikes. They bring an undeniable compliance to the ride. Whether that's desirable is personal.

IMO people riding rigid bikes will benefit most from the compliance. Not sure whom *wouldn't* benefit from the loss of mass.

Checked tension on them this AM and can't see where they've deviated at all since being built.

Attachments

·
ACHOO
4,434 Posts
That would be my question as well - I'd have concerns about discoloration on the spokes. Might sound trivial, but would hate to have them look crappy after a while.

I wonder if they have darker colours in development, or perhaps they are planning on the white spokes being a noticeable part of their branding. (?)

·
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nice to know they are holding up without any problems. Any sign of abrasion/color change on the spokes with time?
Spent the weekend bikepacking on this bike/these wheels. Really rough/disused trail on the Uncompahgre Plateau. Lots of fist-sized rocks flipping up -- sometimes from my front wheel into my rear wheel, other times from the rear wheel of the rider ahead, into my front wheel. Lots of superficial scuffs/scratches on the rims now. Can't see any markings on the spokes.

Color change: the ends of the spokes -- where the threaded metal bit exits the white dyneema -- are a bit dirty. Not sure if it's permanent or if it'll wash off. I don't tend to wash my bikes unless I get into bad mud, so it could be awhile til I have that answer.

·
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
These are definitely being considered for my kuroshiro 29+ build.

If you can afford them and if white (for now) spokes are OK, I struggle to find a reason NOT to use them.

Currently riding them on a 170/150 29+ bike and loving the whole package.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
If you can afford them and if white (for now) spokes are OK, I struggle to find a reason NOT to use them.

Currently riding them on a 170/150 29+ bike and loving the whole package.

Mikesee, do you forsee any problems using a 50mm kuroshiro rim with these spokes? It's going on a world traveling bikepacking bike.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Mikesee, do you forsee any problems using a 50mm kuroshiro rim with these spokes? It's going on a world traveling bikepacking bike.
You are going to go bikepacking across the world with proprietary components you won't be able to get or service in 95% of the world? This doesn't sound like a real good idea.

·
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Nothing leaps to mind, but maybe you can share what your fears are based on where you're heading and your specific route?

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
Nothing leaps to mind, but maybe you can share what your fears are based on where you're heading and your specific route?
Route will depend entirely on finances, which are unknown yet. Thinking diagonal across europe, meandering across western asian, skipping Mongolia and china, across india, Eastern Asia islands, typical Australia and new Zealand, bottom of Argentina heading north to usa.
Getting the tension right in the field if I have to replace a spoke, spokes due to unforseen failure.

You are going to go bikepacking across the world with proprietary components you won't be able to get or service in 95% of the world? This doesn't sound like a real good idea.
Not my first rodeo. Can handle replacing spokes if they break. Able to wait for replacement complete wheel if catastrophic rare calamity like bear attacks bike because ice cream I was eating melted and bike and tasted better than my stinky unwashed self.

·
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Easy enough to replace spokes. Even easier because that rim is singlewall. Honestly I'd be more concerned about the Kuro's than the spokes, just because they are *so* stinking light. I haven't had problems with mine, but then I pretty much only ride them on snow.

The spokes are so light you could take 10 extra's and never know they're there.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Able to wait for replacement complete wheel if catastrophic rare calamity like bear attacks bike because ice cream I was eating melted and bike and tasted better than my stinky unwashed self.
Bears like stinky and unwashed so your bike should be fine ;)

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
My brother has been touring in the usa for 6 months so far on the 29er+ kuroshiro with sapium flat bladed spokes and a 50 lbs bike plus him with no problems. Rims do flex when tires get below 22 psi. But no problems so far. He is hiding out in Florida currently waiting for the storm to pass.

Easy enough to replace spokes. Even easier because that rim is singlewall. Honestly I'd be more concerned about the Kuro's than the spokes, just because they are *so* stinking light. I haven't had problems with mine, but then I pretty much only ride them on snow.

The spokes are so light you could take 10 extra's and never know they're there.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I really want to build a set of wheels for my Gravel bike with these, but at that cost, I’ll only be able to buy a couple of spokes/week...

Maybe I can sell something...

·
Registered
90 Posts
That would be my question as well - I'd have concerns about discoloration on the spokes. Might sound trivial, but would hate to have them look crappy after a while.

I wonder if they have darker colours in development, or perhaps they are planning on the white spokes being a noticeable part of their branding. (?)
Charlie just told me they are piloting Black spokes and I could have some now for my build, so give them a call.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,357 Posts
So Mike C, after thousands of miles, what do you think?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts