Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Specialized
969 Posts
Spokes don't support the rim. They suspend the hub from the rim. This is wheelbuilding 101 stuff.
I know this but if you buckle the wheel then if the spoke is stronger the chances of buckling is reduced . Why the misunderstanding ?!!!

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
Steel and titanium spokes don’t work that way, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,197 Posts
I'm talking about when the hub is under load
The spokes at the bottom of the wheel are still under tension. If not, you have bigger problems to worry about than spoke material.

·
Specialized
969 Posts
The spokes at the bottom of the wheel are still under tension. If not, you have bigger problems to worry about than spoke material.

Well of course they are but not as much as from above the hub . We have gone off slightly from my original point which is a metal spoke will be stronger and support the wheel better from buckling (lateral stiffness) . Anyhow been good talking to you .

·
RAKC Industries
3,265 Posts
Well of course they are but not as much as from above the hub . We have gone off slightly from my original point which is a metal spoke will be stronger and support the wheel better from buckling (lateral stiffness) . Anyhow been good talking to you .
Actually this is wrong because spokes do nothing of the sort. It is nothing more than tension pulling on the rim at the angles from hub flanges. All lateral stiffness and strength comes from the rim once tension os applied.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
This place needs an enema
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

With these sorts of 'facts' at your disposal, and your willingness to fling them around, I can see you being promoted to forum admin ASAP.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The nipple will simply push out of the hole in the rim if the spoke on the opposite side of the wheel loses it's tension!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,730 Posts
has anyone seen or had any experience with these. Pi-Rope spokes.

PI ROPE » News

we save weight compared to the above-mentioned manufacturers by using a double spoke instead of two individual spokes, ie we guide the spoke from the rim over the hub back to the rim. This saves two end connections and these end connections bring the most weight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
we save weight compared to the above-mentioned manufacturers by using a double spoke instead of two individual spokes, ie we guide the spoke from the rim over the hub back to the rim. This saves two end connections and these end connections bring the most weight.
Yes, spokes are lighter but how much weigh the specific hubs?

·
Registered
90 Posts
it appeasr to be a complete system, so you have to use their hubs and rims as well. So not as useful to WW's as the Berds.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts