Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a 2007 specialized hardrock sport disc with shimano 415 brakes. the rotors were bent, i bent them somewhat back into place, and now, while the wheels turn, there's some rub against the pads. i've already ordered new rotors. should i replace the pads as well when i change the rotors? or can i use the old pads for a while even though they probably will be pretty worn and uneven by the time i get the new rotors installed? if i do need new pads, can anyone recommend a good econo set?

i should note that i probably won't have the rotors for several weeks at least. i live in africa and am having the rotors sent to a friend's house in the states, who will then ship them over here to me. there's no lbs for me to visit, and it's hard to get stuff in the mail so i want to make sure i get what i need in one shipment.

i've never had a bike with disc brakes before so i'm kinda in the dark.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,491 Posts
I can't see a reason why a bent rotor would require new pads.
But you may want to order some since you said stuff is hard to get.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Unless the pads are excessively worn or worn unevenly there shouldn't be any reason for changing pads.

If either side is under about 1mm material left you should think about replacement.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Unless the rotor is bent sideways across the brake track, no. No need to replace the pads, they're not going to wear unevenly. I always keep a couple of spare sets around anyway, different compounds for different weather/trails, so I would order a set anyway, just keep them aside for when these do wear out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice. can anyone recommend a good pair to try? i'd like to keep it on the cheap side, and my riding is mostly dry, dusty conditions on trails.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts