Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a bent rim on my bike. Its a Trek 820 (I know.. its known for bad rims). So how much do I expect to pay to fix it, or just buy new rims. I dont know anything really about bikes. Would I have to buy the rim and the spokes and all that, or just a new rim? Also, what are some rims to look into? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bent or out of true?

A bent rim will probably require the replacement of the rim, and to keep from buying new spokes you will have to find a rim with the same or nearly the same inside diameter(I.D.).
If it is just out of true then your LBS can true it for you for not a lot of money.
Truing of rims is not too difficult and something most can tackle for themselves with some help from a guide, Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance is an excellent resource for learning to do your own bicycle repair work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
it sounds like you want to save some money... if you have just wacked your rim up a little and its no longer true; grab yourself a rubber mallet and gently tap the rim where it is bent outwards (an easy way to figure where its bent is to spin it slowly). this will get your rim in decent shape, but if you want it perfect you'll have to get some info on truing your rim by adjusting the tension of your spokes. the book mentioned above should cover that. if you taco(ed) your rim or are uncomfortable trying to true it yourself then youll have to pony up some cash. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.