Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah so i was riding my bike over to my local bike shop for a spring tune up and going down this new river walk. It wasnt completed so there were gaps between the section of walkway and anyways i was jumping them and i shorted one and smashed my rear wheel. My tire blew because it was brittle from the winter and my rim got bent. It's still circular but the side wall where the v-brake rubs got bent. I figure you dont repair these things and just go and buy a new one. Am I right? So will i need to buy a new wheel or just a new rim? Thanks much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to my local shop with my wheel to see what i needed you do and aside from him being a complete dick he said that despite the dent i could still ride it. He seemed though to give the opinion that it was unnessesary to get a new rim but never said it outright. He first said that i could take a vice grips and bend it back but it could tear. He never mentioned that a new rim was an option until i brought it up. He seemed not take an intrest in me because he couldn't fix the rim and therfore had no sale to make. But he did say that all the dent would cause was an increased chance of pinch flats and that i needed to keep my tire presure correct (which i do). Due to the service there though i will not give my bussiness to them anymore. Oh and what do you guys think?

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
teddyboy said:
He seemed not take an intrest in me because he couldn't fix the rim and therfore had no sale to make. But he did say that all the dent would cause was an increased chance of pinch flats and that i needed to keep my tire presure correct (which i do). Due to the service there though i will not give my bussiness to them anymore. Oh and what do you guys think?
Dump them and go somewhere else. I don't get where he had no sale to make. He could sell you a whole new wheel. Or he could sell you a rim, spokes, and the rebuild service. There was money to be made.

·
Registered
202 Posts
teddyboy,
If you have the funds and want a nicer wheel, you could use this as an excuse to upgrade. That depends of course on your budget and how nice a wheel this was. Alternatively, as shiggy and Trevor! suggested, you could rebuild. You could even see this as an opportunity to learn how to do it yourself, if you want. But personally, if it's a lower-grade wheel, and you want to upgrade, and can afford something better, I say why not.

I agree withh tlg, it would seem like there are plenty of ways the shop could have made money off of your predicament. But, for all I know, maybe he's right and the problem isn't that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.