Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· rack admirer
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced this?
I am a long time sram user. I have sent box-fulls of broken x-9's, 9.0's, 9.0sl's, x-7's and 7.0's back to sram for negotiated replacements (usually 3 bad for 1 good).
After a good endo, my rear derailler would not shift outbound to the little cogs 6-7-8-9. I played around a little trailside but ended up making due. At home on the stand, I noticed that the parallelogram was hitting the 'bolt onto the frame ring'. It couldn't slide past outbound and if I forced it outbound, it wouldn't shift inbound past this bolt on pivot. I took a dremel and ground enough off the parallelogram bar and the bolt pivot for things to pass normally and all seems OK.
I kind of expected these parts to snap, not bend as has been my experience outlined above.

· SS Pusher Man
7,675 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
I am a long time sram user. I have sent box-fulls of broken x-9's, 9.0's, 9.0sl's, x-7's and 7.0's back to sram for negotiated replacements (usually 3 bad for 1 good).
After a good endo, my rear derailler would not shift outbound to the little cogs 6-7-8-9. I played around a little trailside but ended up making due. At home on the stand, I noticed that the parallelogram was hitting the 'bolt onto the frame ring'. It couldn't slide past outbound and if I forced it outbound, it wouldn't shift inbound past this bolt on pivot. I took a dremel and ground enough off the parallelogram bar and the bolt pivot for things to pass normally and all seems OK.
I kind of expected these parts to snap, not bend as has been my experience outlined above.
Yup.....bent the parallelogram on my x9 a few weeks ago. Slipped down the side of a rock and bashed it up against another rock. It was a little over a year old. I was wanting to upgrade to the XO rear derailluer so this gave me the excuse to do so.

mtnbikej

· Registered
253 Posts
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine with his X-7 a couple weeks ago, but it bent in such a way that it's totally out of line and tries to jam the lower pulley into the spokes in anything larger than the 3rd smallest cog. At first I thought it was the derailleur hanger. Unfortunately for him, it was his very first ride and happened 2 miles in. I believe he sent it back to JensonUSA where he bought it and they're going to see if they can warranty it or not. That was my first experience with Sram ders. so frankly, I'm not impressed.

· Registered
133 Posts
Mr Magoo said:
yep, I've had this happen to 3 X9's in five months; end up losing my high gear capability. The "parallelogram" near the low adjustment makes contact with the main pivot/hanger interface. I'm not putting anyone to blame but myself, as there are obvious contact marks on the der. If the SRAM system didn't feel so damn nice, I'd switch back to my 105 set-up and continue with my poor line selection. Does anybody know if the XO forging is more resilient toward this problem? And for the record, I mangled the cage on a 4th, which is repairable, but have never experienced the main pivot failures that others have mentioned.

· Registered
1,683 Posts
Don't flame me, but i can't see how it's SRAM's fault if you bang a derailler on a rock. I snapped a Shimano in half that way, it's just what rocks do. I may be a bit defensive, as i just converted my bike to SRAM and I'm loving the smoothness. I do agree an RD should survive your typical endo, assuming it dosn't land on a boulder.

· enjoying the kool-aid
779 Posts
I bent the outside rod of the parallelogram on an urban ride, falling off of a ledge.

I didn't really know what was up at first, I just couldn't get into like 123, and 789.

When I got home and got it on the stand I saw the bend. I think the main issue was the bent cause the cable to be pulled tighter than usual. The spring then wasn't letting the derailleur snap back when you downshifter. I just took some vice grips and bent the bar back as well as I could. I straightened my hanger while I was there and checked cable tension.

Everything shifts great again.... it's resilent!

· Banned
2,317 Posts
manwithgun said:
yep, I've had this happen to 3 X9's in five months; end up losing my high gear capability. The "parallelogram" near the low adjustment makes contact with the main pivot/hanger interface. I'm not putting anyone to blame but myself, as there are obvious contact marks on the der. If the SRAM system didn't feel so damn nice, I'd switch back to my 105 set-up and continue with my poor line selection. Does anybody know if the XO forging is more resilient toward this problem? And for the record, I mangled the cage on a 4th, which is repairable, but have never experienced the main pivot failures that others have mentioned.
FWIW....

My shop owner has sent his to hell and back and it's still running true. The forging seems to have resolved the problems in the x.9 derailleurs.

· Registered
265 Posts
robdamanii said:
FWIW....

My shop owner has sent his to hell and back and it's still running true. The forging seems to have resolved the problems in the x.9 derailleurs.
Can someone explain what this means? I'm interested in buying an X.9 RD and I'm wondering if I should go for an 06' or 05', and whether there have been any significant changes (casting to forging, etc.). I don't know if the poster above is talking about the X.0 having the forging or what. . . :confused:

· Banned
2,317 Posts
Wheeldog said:
Can someone explain what this means? I'm interested in buying an X.9 RD and I'm wondering if I should go for an 06' or 05', and whether there have been any significant changes (casting to forging, etc.). I don't know if the poster above is talking about the X.0 having the forging or what. . . :confused:
I was referring to the X.0, sorry about that.

My shop owner has sent his X0 to hell and back and it's still running true. The forging in the X0 seems to have resolved the problems that were present in the x.9 derailleurs by forging the parallelogram as opposed to casting it.
There we go.:)

· Banned
16,463 Posts
Wheeldog said:
I just replaced an 05 with an 06 and they are identical. The differences are between the 04 and the 05. They look similar, but are very different, down to even the pulleys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.