Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today i was out with my son on a leisurely ride and i look down to see my rear deraileur in pieces and my deraileur bent toward the wheel.

any odeas on how i can resolve this? a guy at belmont recommended a shop in olney section of philly that would fit a new derailleur and drop-out, and another guy offer the use of his straightening tool.

help!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Damn Keith, that sucks :(

So what happened? You've bent the derialleur hanger? From what I can tell, it's not a replacable hanger on the 456, so that's a nuisance.

I'm sure your LBS will be able to help out with straightening things back into shape, I can't imagine you will need a new dropout. Maybe shoot Brant @ on-one an email to see what he thinks.

Good luck!

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
A competent LBS should be able to bend it back and verify that it's straight with an alignment tool. Steel can be bent back without creating weakness so it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I did that several times on my old Kona Explosif. The LBS was able to bend it back... but after a few times it became weak, so I had to find someone to weld a new drop-out on. I swore I'd never buy another bike without a replaceable drop-out after that, just makes sense.

·
Trail eater
229 Posts
damn

hey bigkieth,
dude did you come off a 6ft drop off sideways:eek: that looks really bent. I feel for you buddy, being a new bike and all. By the sounds of it a good LBS should be able to straighten it for you:thumbsup:
curious how did you do it?

cheers

electric

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Heartbroken....

bigkeith said:
i wanna cry! but i cant
I'm crying for ya, bro. That just breaks my heart. I hope you can find someone local to make it right for you.

Bob

·
Registered
578 Posts
In my case it was always a stick jamming into the spokes between the chain and chainstay, the wheel rotates the stick around to the derailleur and rips it right off bending the drop-out in the process.

·
Registered
72 Posts
A suggestion

I bent my titanium hanger last year and was able to bend it back. However I did purchase a break away derailleur bolt from www.biketoolsetc.com. They are hard to find since replaceable hangers have become so prevailant and are a little tricky to install but I think will be worth it. I have even thought about installing on my bikes with replaceable hangers as I have only ever had one work. The rest of the time the derailleur has always been trashed. some food for thought.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Installing break away derailleur bolt.

Installing the break away derailleur bolt involves removing a C clip on the back of the derailleur. Once that is done slowly remove the bolt, as there is a spring in there under tension. Remember which direction it wants to unravel because when you reinstall the break away bolt you'll have to reapply some tension to the spring( if you twist it the wrong way you risk damaging the spring). This is where a second person may help. One person can do it but it is tough to get the tension, hold the bolt in place and reapply the C clip that hold the mechanism together. Hope that helps if not I'll take apart a damaged derailleur and take pics for you.

·
They turned me loose
384 Posts
dude, that's nuts. I did the same thing to my 456 3 weeks ago. We managed to bend it right back into place though.

We used an old handlebar and it worked great.

Brant was suprised that had bent it.......it was just a stick.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
When bending it back, be careful not to bend the bolt hole out of shape. We put a der bolt in place and use an adj wrench to bend it forward. The deraileur alignment tool does the rest.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.