Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Was cleaning my bike and my front wheel have a wobble in it. Yea, the rim is out of true I guess you would say! Close to 100 miles on bike. I am 230 pound and run 70 pound of air in my front tire
Could this have been avoided with a lower tire pressure? Darn it! Can I fix this myself by tightening spokes?
The bike shop will service my bike for free for one year. Do I just turn it over to them?
Sorry for all the questions!:madman:

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
if you have never done it, I suggest you go to the shop and ask them to show you how to true the rim, that way you get it trued and learn at the same time ;)

I am 220lbs and I usually run about 40 psi rear / 30 psi front on 2.3-2.4 tires..... 70 psi is way too high... the rims has been taking all the hits directly...and I guess the bike bounces a lot....

hope this helps

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crisillo,
My tires say 35-80 PSI on them? Ok, I am gonna try a lower pressure like you have suggested.
With a lower pressure I should get a even better ride! Do they have to take the wheel off the bike to true it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wow, do yourself a huge favor and review what your riding is with your shop. Do this while getting your wheel addressed, and hopefully learn a couple of things at once. ;)

In any case, I am around 230 without my gear, and I run 30psi in the rear and 27psi in the front. I have Crossmax SL wheels with Specialized UST (tubeless) tires, and the minimum is 30psi but I have worked with the wheels and tires and feel that I am safe with this combination. I have ridden with 28psi and 25psi in the past using Panaracer 2.4 FR tires with tubes and that was fine. If you are new, try running 32-35 psi and see how that works out for you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks SD,
YEa, took the bike down to the shop and the guy trued my front wheel on the spot and the rear as well.
The bike shop guy told me he runs 70-80 ounds in his tires on his Giant Cros Country and I think his 06 enduro.
I bet he weighs 170 pounds though. I backed them off to 50 each. You still think thats too high?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,809 Posts
65bug said:
Thanks SD,
YEa, took the bike down to the shop and the guy trued my front wheel on the spot and the rear as well.
The bike shop guy told me he runs 70-80 ounds in his tires on his Giant Cros Country and I think his 06 enduro.
I bet he weighs 170 pounds though. I backed them off to 50 each. You still think thats too high?
Thanks
65bug... try 40 psi..you will have a lot better traction and a "softer" ride...and still enough support...

take your pump with you on your next ride..and play a bit on the trail, that way you can feel how your tires behave at different pressures...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yeah, 40 is the upper limit for me. However, while I ride aggressively I am also pretty smooth and pick lines like I used to with my rigid. I still think you can get by with 35 just fine, but give 40 a shot and you'll probably think you're peddaling pillows by comparison.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys,
Ok, 40 pounds it in in the rear! 40 in the front too. However I could probably go less in the front as less weight on there!
I am gonna go try it out right now! I will report my finding!

Thanks a MILLION!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The front usually has a bit less. This is more pronounced on my Stumpy FSR than any other bike I have ridden due to its rearward rider bias. Another thing to look for is how much less deflection you get with the reduced pressure.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,
Man, you guys are great! Thanks alot! WHAT A DIFFERENCE:thumbsup: This is with 40 in the front and 50 in the rear!
I did not notice that big of a difference in rolling resistance either! WOW:yikes: Did someone say FLUFFY RIDE:eekster:
I think I am going to try 35 in the front and 45 in the rear now:thumbsup: Am I too heavy for that?
I think on the trail this is going ot make a HUGE difference!

SHWEEEEEET:thumbsup:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Student Driver,
Tomorrow I am gonna roll with your suggestion! 38 rear and 34 front! Should be a huge difference for sure!
I will update tomorrow. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Morning Spesh dudes!
40 rear and 35 in front. Pretty dam good! I am going to try what Student Driver recommended later again today.
Should be alot easier on my rims huh?
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.