Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I endorse self propulsion
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my last ride, i had chain issues which resulted in a bent front derailleur. :mad: its not mangled, but when in the small ring in the front, the chain has to go up and over the derailleur. also, the chain rubs on the side of the derailleur no matter what ring i'm in (though i can't shift up to the big ring b/c of this issue). anyway, i plan to just bend it back as much as i can, but my question is, how do i know what position to bend it back to. is there something i can use a reference? or is it trial and error? or would it just be worth buying a new one? :confused:

·
I endorse self propulsion
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mtb_biker said:
Are you sure the derailleur is bent and you didn't just make it fall down a bit? Picture?
i suppose that's possible, but it does look bent. i'll take a pic this evening after work.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
does the cable pull from the top? Sounds like it's to high on the frame. Have you ever installed or adjusted a front derailer? First this is to get it positioned properly on the bike. Then attach the cable and adjust the cable tension and limit screws so that it shifts to all the gears and the chain won't fall off. Check the parks website. Parks has picture tutorials that you can follow with step by step instructions. OR just take it to a LBS and for 10.00 or so they will set it straight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts