Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Joined
·
686 Posts
Take it off and try to restraighten it in a vice
Had to do that with mine, the metal will crack and fracture to a certain extent, mostly on what is now the inside of the bend, but it shouldnt be enough to cause you any problems (ive had none). It will make it weaker, but should be ok, theres not a huge amount of stress there.
Or if you feel like it, get a new one, it shouldnt be expensive.
I think each frame has a specific deraileur hanger, have a look on google for one for your frame
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heff® said:
Should be an aluminum hanger. Bend it back VERY slowly, and it shouldn't crack. TBH, though, that looks more like the frame itself is bent, not the hanger.
If the frame is bent will Trek warranty it?

I'm the original owner. I don't know how the hell it happened. I went for a 6 mile ride today and didn't fall or go over anything. All of a sudden I felt the gears not engaging and saw the bend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update.

The frame doesn't seem to be bent.

I was able to bend the hanger a little bit and is better than before. However the derailleur is still not 100% perpendicular to the floor. Does it have to be or a slight tilt is acceptable?

Here a new pic:

 

·
Bike Freak
Joined
·
324 Posts
I was able to find a hanger for my '95 Stumpjumper last month, so you should have no problem finding one for your '01. Just google around I was able to find one that was half the cost of what the LBS was offering...

Oh and from past experience, if you don't replace that hanger, it can very easily shear off at the EXACT wrong moment...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
603 Posts
Dictatorsaurus said:
Update.

The frame doesn't seem to be bent.

I was able to bend the hanger a little bit and is better than before. However the derailleur is still not 100% perpendicular to the floor. Does it have to be or a slight tilt is acceptable?

Here a new pic:

Park tools sell a tool to align the hanger if you still can't get it aligned. Check out their website. Or, hopefully you can buy a new hanger ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
The derailleur hanger is supposed to be the weak link in the system. Bending yours back will just make it a weaker link. In addition, now is the time to buy the spare hanger you should have been carrying with you since you started riding that bike. That way, when your original one breaks you'll be prepared to replace it in the field, rather than convert to single speed to get back out off the trail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4slomo said:
The derailleur hanger is supposed to be the weak link in the system. Bending yours back will just make it a weaker link. In addition, now is the time to buy the spare hanger you should have been carrying with you since you started riding that bike. That way, when your original one breaks you'll be prepared to replace it in the field, rather than convert to single speed to get back out off the trail.
I did not even know what a derailleur hanger was until I bent mine today.

I'll look on the web for a spare.
 

·
Bike Freak
Joined
·
324 Posts
Right now I have 4 smashed up derailleur hangers hanging on my wall (morbid trophies maybe?) from the last 14 years on my bike. As a general rule I always keep an extra one in my camelback. They are extremely light and just the added mental security of knowing I have one is worth it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Park Tool disgrees with some of you guys. I'm guessing they know what they are talking about. This is straight from their website:

"It is often possible to repeatedly re-bend many derailleur hangers. This is because there is very little stress from riding the bike or shifting gears. As a rule of thumb, if a hanger survives a repair by bending, it will survive use."
 

·
Vaginatarian
Joined
·
5,686 Posts
the park tool is about $40, your shop shold charge that or less. as long as it isnt cracked it should be fine. I would straighten it and buy a new one, keep one in your camelback.
you can try and straighten it yourself, either take it off the bike and make it flat or sometimes you can do it on the bike, put an allen wrench in the mounting bolt and use it to bend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dan0 said:
the park tool is about $40, your shop shold charge that or less. as long as it isnt cracked it should be fine. I would straighten it and buy a new one, keep one in your camelback.
you can try and straighten it yourself, either take it off the bike and make it flat or sometimes you can do it on the bike, put an allen wrench in the mounting bolt and use it to bend
Already done my friend. I bent using vice grips.
 

·
Official ***** Idiot
Joined
·
333 Posts
That's probably about as far as I would go with it. You can ride with it that way, it'll just jump gears on you occasionally. Ask your shop, I got a hanger for my 2000 Jamis without an issue, Trek should be even easier.
 

·
Photog Cyclist.
Joined
·
401 Posts
If you "straightened" with vice grips, I would have it checked out by a bike shop. It might look straight to the eye but might still be out of alignment. Just because it shifts fine now doesn't mean it will shift fine under load out on the trail. The hanger straighting tools let you align the hanger so it is parallel with the cog/wheel, very very important for good shifting.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top