Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I crashed yesterday and slightly bent the derailleur hangar on a Racer-X. The rear shifting is slightly off and the hangar is visibly bent, but slightly.

Would a derailleur alignment gauge like the Park DAG-1 be able to realign this hangar, or should I just replace it? I'm looking for a reason to get the DAG-1 if there's a reasonable chance it could realign the hangar, but the Park instructions indicate that often a replaceable hangar will move on the frame when attempting to align.

Thanks for any recommendations.

·
nachos rule!
390 Posts
the dag-1 is a sweet tool, mine sees quite a bit of use. highly recommended if you can justify it (something i have VERY little problem with)!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
While they're more suited to permanent steel hangers than anything else, you might have some success with one even on an aluminum replaceable (I've done it in a pinch), but it's not as good a solution like getting the hanger replacement...I've got one, you know, just in case (that's usually all the justification I require).

·
born again
652 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
While they're more suited to permanent steel hangers than anything else, you might have some success with one even on an aluminum replaceable (I've done it in a pinch), but it's not as good a solution like getting the hanger replacement...I've got one, you know, just in case (that's usually all the justification I require).
My DAG-1 works great for me even on an replaceable aluminum hanger. Obviously the hanger needs to be firmly attached to the frame or re-bending it wouldn't work. I think it re-aligns the hanger perfectly and for only 50 bucks it pays for itself in no time if you ride hard and bend hangers. I use mine on all my bikes, one of my favorite tools!

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
the problem with an aluminum replacable derailer hanger is that once it's bent and you bend it back with the DAG-1, it's simply much weaker and more prone to bending. Your problems will not stop because you bent the hanger back into alignment. You need a new derailer hanger unfortunatly. The DAG-1 is primarily for bikes without replacable hangers, but you can obviously use it on a bike that has one. It's a temporary fix though on those kinds of bikes.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you don't mind an extra ounce or two, try the stainless steel version of the Titus derailleur hanger. It holds up much better. After bending, straightening and rebending a handful of alumininum hangers, I opted for the ss version. I've bent it too but it easily straightened with the DAG and stayed straight.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
ooooh, titus hangers. I didn't catch that we were talking about em. Titus is here in AZ and I had a few riders up here on demo titus bikes a few weeks ago. Their hangers are ultra-thin and one of them broke on a ride with no rock impacts. I'd get the steel version, definitely worth it and if you have to bend it back, it retains more integrity than an alu version...

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
A wacky idea

Homebrew said:
If you don't mind an extra ounce or two, try the stainless steel version of the Titus derailleur hanger. It holds up much better. After bending, straightening and rebending a handful of alumininum hangers, I opted for the ss version. I've bent it too but it easily straightened with the DAG and stayed straight.
I had the wacky idea that titanium would be an excellent material for derailleur hangers would be titanium.

You want the hanger to bend to avoid derailleur damage. But you'ld also like it to "snap back". The springiness of titanium could be just the thing.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
You want the hanger to bend to avoid derailleur damage. But you'ld also like it to "snap back". The springiness of titanium could be just the thing.
I'd rather have a bomproof hanger that won't bend at all. Deraillers are alot stronger than we give them credit for. Being spring loaded and all, they really just move out of the way when they hit something hard.

Not only that, but a replacement derailler is alot easier to find than a rare hanger for a high end frame.

·
Registered
87 Posts
DAG-1 and hanger alignment

The Park Tool DAG-1 will align and re-bend replaceable hangers. Even brand new hangers can be off and require alignment. The difference between the replaceable and non-replaceable hangers is that there is much more flex and give in most replaceable types, making it a longer process to align correctly.

Calvin Jones
Park Tool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.