Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to checking out the work they did on the Pine Tree loop at Bent Creek and blown away at the poor job they did. You can't call what they did "trailwork" since they didn't do any work on the trail surface. No reroutes, no armoring, to tread shaping.

What they do was widen the corridor by indiscriminately hacking down any tree they felt like cutting. They left several trees cut off literally at head height or lower, just waiting to skewer an errant rider or stumbling trail runner. I saw dozens of stumps cut off at ankle/shin height too, many in the middle of the rail. Then there are the punji (sp?) stake trees cut off at 45 degree angles right next to the trail.

The end result is that a trail that was once natural, shady and beautiful is now wide open, unnatural looking and unsafe. The trail obstacles they sanitized are now replaced by stumps of death. I also think the potential for user conflicts is now higher due to the higher speeds invited by long sight lines and a lack of choke points.

I am appreciative that the USFS is using any of their limited budget on trailwork. Like all of our land management agencies, they are asked to do too much with too little. But I am concerned about the lack of quality work done by these contracted (at least I think they are) crews in BC and elsewhere. If the USFS is awarding trailwork contracts, I'd suggest going with someone who has a better understanding of trail design/construction.

I plan on sending a letter to the District Ranger outlining my concerns and encourage everyone else to do so.

Rant over.

PS. I'm not talking about the volunteer crews from Biowheels and others who do good work. This is specific to the work I mentioned.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
I refuse to go look at the altered sections till April. I've had way too much trauma lately...

Been there done that anyway.
:(

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=35482&highlight=saplings

(Thanx H for your manly broad band skills)

Edit: I like your spirit, son.

Edit: Read the old post: The access behind my house has no name I was ever aware of. I was considering making up something new

The Planted Forest and Piper's Pine (Lot) eventually became local terminology

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Thanks, SP.

Good description of the work.

Efforts have already started to give responsible feedback re: the work. Reasonable and professional letter wrting will be greatly appreciated. User reports are how the waterbars of death were legally removed from Trace.

As Enduro has already stated, this should be regarded as an impetus for us all to become more involved.

SP- let's ride some time before the 10th, when I get another surgery on the shoulder. PM me- maybe Coleman, including PisgahPro and some others??

Mike

·
2,652 Posts
I rode the areas mentioned above Sunday and today. Couldn't wait till April. Someone must have come back through since StP posted, because I saw no punji sticks, at least not like those left from the horrendous "trail blocking" fiasco of last year. Lots of funky stumps. It was sad to see the nice laurels laying on the sides of the trails.

The lopped off trees with the trail colors painted on them are kind of disorienting. One actually scared me when I went by it at speed and caught the color movement in my peripheral - I thought something was flying at my face. In some ways, these areas resemble what they did after a bad ice storm, but you don't have to look twice to see it's a hack job.

I had one of those nostalgic rides today. So many things are changing in my life! Seeing Bent Creek alter drastically in such a short period of time is part of a progression I don't like. Aging sux.

It is still a fun place to ride. I hope folks will get involved with the various groups and shops to support/maintain the sections of Bent Creek are still natural.

Hey - do you know there's a new vista opened up? You can see the Biltmore House!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
M-U-M said:
I rode the areas mentioned above Sunday and today. Couldn't wait till April. Someone must have come back through since StP posted, because I saw no punji sticks, at least not like those left from the horrendous "trail blocking" fiasco of last year. Lots of funky stumps. It was sad to see the nice laurels laying on the sides of the trails.

The lopped off trees with the trail colors painted on them are kind of disorienting. One actually scared me when I went by it at speed and caught the color movement in my peripheral - I thought something was flying at my face. In some ways, these areas resemble what they did after a bad ice storm, but you don't have to look twice to see it's a hack job.

I had one of those nostalgic rides today. So many things are changing in my life! Seeing Bent Creek alter drastically in such a short period of time is part of a progression I don't like. Aging sux.

It is still a fun place to ride. I hope folks will get involved with the various groups and shops to support/maintain the sections of Bent Creek are still natural.

Hey - do you know there's a new vista opened up? You can see the Biltmore House!

:rolleyes:
You know what MUM? Aging does suck in some ways, but just a few short months ago I didn't know you from Adam. For that matter a lot of folks I didn't know. Now in 2006, I have new friends as well as my old ones. I have a goal that is unclear, and is taking me to unknown places, and you are there with me as well. I still screw up as you well know, but WTF? I keep a copy of Dylan Thomas's poem Don't go Gently into That Dark Night with me. So as I know you do, I "rage, rage against the dieing of the light"

·
2,652 Posts
I keep a copy of Dylan Thomas's poem.....

I keep current copies of Dirt Rag and Birds & Blooms magazines near me at all times.

;)

ck e-mail

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dirt Rag?

It could be Bob Dylan, or Thomas Jefferson. I don't remember. I guess it could be ... Oh you know.... What's it called? ..... Dang...... Ah.. old timers. No uh .... alzhimers... no I know. it's don't give a Fire trUCK

·
KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
265 Posts
I had one of those nostalgic rides today. So many things are changing in my life! Seeing Bent Creek alter drastically in such a short period of time is part of a progression I don’t like. Aging sux.

Your still the coolest chick I've ever rode with!

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
After my rant a few months back on the work in Bent Creek I've had to back off. I realize that Bent Creek is basically a entity of its own from the Forest Service with it being a experimental forest and we should feel special to be able to ride there as this is one of the only Experimental Forest in the country that allows mountain biking. There may be one or two others but I've yet to find them in my research. I rode Bent Creek for the 1st time in two months Thursday night with the Biowheels guys and although I miss the tech rock garden on Homestead I will have to say that they improved the trail for beginners and lower intermediates and its downright scary fast for advanced riders. Its fast and swooping and actually, fun. I didn't find the stuff that Singletrack Pig did but I didn't ride Pinetree and they may of cleaned it up since or were continuing work without shutting the trail down until they were finished. We have to realize to find the technical stuff may mean going beyond the average riders realm to discover it. Now if this starts happening out there beyond that 8 mile climb I might have a beef....

Jeremy

·
2,652 Posts
MGE:
Now if this starts happening out there beyond that 8 mile climb I might have a beef....

Guess you wouldn't want to know about the pedal reflector I found on T. Michales after Mo Heinous then, would ya?

:D

28:
Your still the coolest chick I've ever rode with!

Thanks, I needed that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
All I can say is what a bummer. The section that they sanitized was one of my favorite after work rides. That section used to be like a slalom course with the tight trees and roots. Now it is pretty much all out speed. Not to mention the destruction of a great technical section of Homestead. I still am sad everytime I ride through there.

Y'all have sparked my interest about continuing on past Mo. I have wondered if there is more :D Care to share any more info?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.