Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a ride there and the trail conditions are the worst I've seen in years. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here but we really need to stay outta there for another couple weeks. weather permitting. I started on Explorer Loop and realized immediately that the north facing slopes were the worst with ice and mud prevaling, so I got back on the road bed asap and headed up to SideHill with it's southern exposure hoping the trails would be drier and I'd do less damage. That was the case until the bottom, Lower SideHill is nothing more than a mud trough and is being totaly wrecked.

Yes, I had an impact on the trails today too and wish I'd stayed off but kept searching for trails not effected by the slow thaw as much, then I just tried anyway I could to return to my vehicle. For those that understand we need to stay off, thank you. For those that don't, please do. It's gonna take a long time for these trails to heal at BC, I can't speak for PNF or Dupont but I'd imagine they are the same. This is an unusal winter here with so long a freeze and it's gonna be slop til it dries or refreezes. My bikes getting parked for awhile.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I was in DuPont today doing recon for our work project this weekend. The conditions there are the same as what you found in Bent Creek, worst I have ever seen. Highest level of moisture content ever, still some snow to melt yet and rain tommorow and Thursday will make matters worse.

I know folks want to get some excercise, but there is no way to ride now witout doing tread damage. Staying on the forest roads is OK, but will be slow going. It you detour off onto singltrack, your impact will have a lasting impression (tires sinking into tread pun).

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Sounds like my ft and bk yardz & I live in Catawba Co........more rain forcasted for tomorrow & this weekend.............pfffffffffttt:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Except for a short ride at Trace Ridge (Trace was not too wet...because it's steep, I suppose) on Friday, I haven't ridden when the temps were above freezing since the snow. Frozen ground solves the mud problem. But once the temps come up (now) I'm going to be a roadie for a couple of weeks. sad but true.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Gravel roads..

Gravel roads closed to car traffic have not been bad but trails are slop and would not be enjoyable to ride.
The "black" trails are in good shape though..as in asphalt, road riding...and then there are the "hiking only" trails which seem to be ok..as long as you are running or hiking..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Go explore Jocasse Gorge in SC. They have very large gravel on the roads and it wasn't soft there last Saturday. This will be the toughest gravel you have ever ridden. It makes the road up to Farlow look like a joke! I'm not kidding!

·
Registered
864 Posts
25 to 74

driftwood said:
I ran a few miles of the Shut In on Monday. It was absolutely horrible for running in many places. Deep, slippery mud does not make for fun running.
Ran the hwy 25 to hwy 74 section out n back yesterday and overall it was very nice. The sections that have "stepping" logs/cross ties through the mud were sloppy and a couple other sections were pretty nasty but overall it was not bad and was dry.
I did`nt do the higher elevation shut-in sections or any of the mtc above bent creek so i can`t say how those areas are.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
4000psi said:
Go explore Jocasse Gorge in SC. They have very large gravel on the roads and it wasn't soft there last Saturday. This will be the toughest gravel you have ever ridden. It makes the road up to Farlow look like a joke! I'm not kidding!
Mr. 4000,

Hardly anyone in NC is tough enough for the Gorges. The gravel is too big and steep.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
The wife rode last night on the BC roads and said it was a disaster. Guess who gets to clean the bike!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Gabe- it was asked about, what, 4-5 years ago- when the new kiosks first went up. The answer was no. It would not hurt to ask again.

·
Third Degree Hater-Fu
563 Posts
My buddies are all telling me to come ride Paris b/c it's good to go right now. Think I'll take them up on it ASAP. But the road can kiss it. My road bike is still bent from getting hit for the second time in a year. Road riding is for dead people.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
extrmtao said:
Mr. 4000,

Hardly anyone in NC is tough enough for the Gorges. The gravel is too big and steep.
We used to do the ride in question and found it quite fun (have not done it in 8 years or so). When the SC DNR did the large gavel application (Railroad ballast would be the technical term for this rock), it became a lot less fun. Interesting to learn folks are still riding this loop. It is not even fun to walk on.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
There are plenty of road loops w/ few cars. I'll stick to pavement until the trees reawaken or the ground freezes again. Or someone tells me the trails are enjoyable again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
bizutch said:
My buddies are all telling me to come ride Paris b/c it's good to go right now. Think I'll take them up on it ASAP. But the road can kiss it. My road bike is still bent from getting hit for the second time in a year. Road riding is for dead people.
How does Paris hold up after rain? I remember some rain the night before and a little during the DH race in September and the trail wasn't in to bad of shape..Wondering if it will be good to go on Sunday with the rain today?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Sanchez said:
How does Paris hold up after rain? I remember some rain the night before and a little during the DH race in September and the trail wasn't in to bad of shape..Wondering if it will be good to go on Sunday with the rain today?
As long as you aren't riding in the rain, normally Paris is good to go. Most of the trails are on a steep enough grade that they rarely stay wet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts