Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Slow Guy
55 Posts
Heard about it on WNCW too...

I guess this is just the press release of the new 'official' trail map.

Funny thing, though...no mention if they plan to start ticketing again. Moot point with me, I am strictly by-the-book.

Element

·
They say I have a problem
460 Posts
Does anyone know when this so-called new official map will be available to the public?? I'm coming down from Ontario in the latter part of August and I want to make sure I'm riding the right stuff. The last thing I want is a ticket when I'm on my vacation. I ordered the old map from the Forest Service and have used the WNC web site best rides section to figure out some rides in Bent Creek already.

Hmmm, that gets me thinking....Anyone know if some of the trails that are shown on the WNC site are some of these illegal trails??

It looks like you can't go anywhere without running into this trail control problem....

Rich

·
Registered
82 Posts
Best Rides on WNC are legal

All the trails listed on the http://www.mtbikewnc.com/ site for Bent Creek are legal. You won't have a problem if you stay on those trails. The new trail map is available. If you wish to download a copy of the new trail map you can go to http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/bentcreek/new_maps_on-line!.htm. A link to this site can be found at the Mountain Goat's site, http://www.wncmountaingoatepics.com/. The Goat's site has good trail information on some epic rides in Western North Carolina.

Come on down and have I great time. Bent Creek and the rest of Pisgah is still one of the great places in the world for mountain biking. This ticketing thing has been blown up way too big. The Forest Management team is working with the Blue Ridge Bicycle Club to keep the trails maintained and open to mountain bikers. During this wet summer season, the work they are doing on the legal trails is greatly appreciated.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch for broken sticks too

"We have already started putting some brush on the ends of the trail to indicate that people shouldn't be on the trails.... "

The area behind my house looked like some kid got a really, really cool sharp knife for his birthday and walked the neighborhood hiking paths cutting down random healthy saplings at waist height. They just let them fall across the trails. Not what I'd consider a bike blockage message or forest management, but then whatta I know?

I've lived here ten years and recall when alot of these these trails were hardly passable for walking, much less biking. I'm thankful for what we have and intend to abid by the new map, but I'd sure like to tell whoever did the "official pruning" - you just made the trail wider.

:p

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
M-U-M said:
... looked like some kid got a really, really cool sharp knife for his birthday and walked the neighborhood hiking paths cutting down random healthy saplings at waist height.

Thats right, just kill 'em before those evil bikers can wear them out by over-admiration :rolleyes:

I'm sure the experimental forest is much better off now that they saplings have been haphazardly cut...

·
Slow Guy
55 Posts
bmateo said:
Thats right, just kill 'em before those evil bikers can wear them out by over-admiration :rolleyes:

I'm sure the experimental forest is much better off now that they saplings have been haphazardly cut...
Well, maybe THAT is the experiment.

1) Kill the saplings
2) Write tickets
3) ????
4) Profit!!!!

element

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You forgot number 5: spite.

I'm convinced this is all done to show us that we shouldn't have made such a stink over their precious road-building/trail-destroying plans.

I looked at the map, and noticed it didn't say anything about the trails on the Lake Powhatan side being seasonal. I assume that is still the case?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
litespeedchick said:
You forgot number 5: spite.

I'm convinced this is all done to show us that we shouldn't have made such a stink over their precious road-building/trail-destroying plans.
Probably right. That raises an interesting paradox.

Do you sit back and let them do their thing (road building) without raising too much issue, or do you address the issues, with risk of raising additional attention and red flags?

I am convinced the answer is to have a balance of the two, acknowledging plans, making your opinion known in a respectful way, and once the decision is made (beyond the point of no return) to somewhat roll with it....

Anyway, I think LSC raises a good point, and I wonder if we can get anything from it to benefit OUR cause in the future?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Lake Powhatan-side trails are now open year around. That's official- it's how they're illustrated on the Pisgah District map. IMHO, it's an example of mismangement. Opening those easier trails year around will greatly increase their usage during "peak" wetter months. Those trails are in the lower parts of drainages, stay wetter, and will get damaged by increased use. Additionally, it always made sense to me to keep those trails closed during peak season so that hikers, runners could use them and we could avoid user-conflicts. Now, we'll just have more user conflicts. Great, huh? I think Bent Creek managers made these open year round to try and compensate for closing other trails, but instead I am almost certain new issues will be created by the opening. Would have made much more sense to research which of the "off-map" trails were well-built, designate them as official, and promote their use so that impact/ use would have been spread out across a much wider area... Ok, that's about it, except I would like to send a STRONG APPEAL out to all bikers to please only use the offical trails from NOW ON so that we don't end up in much worse conflict with managers and have this entire system closed. Unfortunately, access is a luxury, not a guaranatee. Peace.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Wow! first I learn that Bennet Gap is seasonal, now the "other" side of Bent Creek is not...my whole paradigm has been messed with!

I think you're probably right...Those trails seem a lot more delicate to me. I have never minded complying with seasonal restrictions. It seems like such a reasonable compromise.

Unless I have forgotten something, I think the only "unofficial" trails that I'll really miss are the Pine Tree thing and parts of the "Slalom Course" (I don'tknow if anybody else calls it that). I rode a few trails that were clearly bootleg in the sidehill/boyd branch area and they mostly sucked anyway. Plus I broke my leg on one of those babys coming down from the trail above ingles field so I'd sworn those off anyway. Are there any popular ones that I have failed to realize ?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I think all of Pine Tree is open year round. Somebody please post a correction if I am wrong. In terms of which trails have been closed, follow the link AppMTB posted for the official map. If it's not on that map, it's closed- and there's a lot of trails that will not be on that map. Also, the new Pisgah District Map is complete and accurate in terms of what's open and what's not. Peace.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hardtimes Connector North side of Paved Road - Closed?

Mike Brown said:
If it's not on that map, it's closed-
In looking more carefully at the offical online map of Bent Creek, I may have been wrong in saying that all WNC Best Rides trails are legal. The 1/10 of a mile part of the Hardtimes Connector north of the paved road is not on the new map. This small section connects the Hardtimes Connector trail with the Deer Lake Lodge trail. Is that small section closed?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean PineTree that's on the Powhattan side. I meant the trail that starts where Ledford Branch deadends, goes up near some houses on the edge of the property, and then runs through a section of Pine Trees in perfectly spaced rows before dumping back out on gravel.

Althought the new map seems to have clarified things for you, it doesn't really for me. Bent Creek has always been so poorly signed that I have never known the names of the trails I'm riding. Sidehill is always a good guess, of course ;-) Plus, when I downloaded the map, I got a lot of trails w/ numbers, but no key to the numbers.

·
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went putzing around this afternoon. We came back via the lake to the "warm up trail" that crosses the road. That one is open. The little connector that goes to the bridge below Rice Pinnacle parking lot was a mess. Several healthy small trees were sliced and dropped. Cut high with a nice sharp point - looking a lot like pungi sticks. Not a safe place to even walk now. You could put an eye out.... ;)

This seemed a bit extreme to me. Most of the "blockage" to keep bikes off a 300 yard pass through had been moved or riden over.

We had a new rider along and didn't go up high. I'll check that out Saturday.

Otherwise - the lack of rain and cooler temps made for a nice evening. Great to get out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Part of WNC Best Rides closed

M-U-M said:
The little connector that goes to the bridge below Rice Pinnacle parking lot was a mess. Several healthy small trees were sliced and dropped.
Yep, that's the trail I was asking about. So it is closed. Like you said, it is a small little section of trail, but it kept mountain bikers from having to ride the road up to the Rice Pinnacle parking lot. It is listed as part of, "The Top" in the best rides section on the http://www.mtbikewnc.com web site. I have emailed the web master for the site. Hopefully, he will update the loop information.

Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
That's fast on the closing of the Rice Pinnacle connector- it was open Weds. night. I guess we can expect this type of closure to happen everywhere that is not official . My question is, I thought part of the intent of not using those trails was to let them establish themselves as wildlife corridors. You know, create pass-thru's for wildlife as well as creating "edge" environments which many animals use for food and shelter. How will these be usable "corridors" if there's pungi sticks, downed trees, and even just giant snarls of briars moved into the middle of the trail ( I encountered a couple of those when I went up "One Dog" before realizing it had been closed). Seems a little bit contradictory to me...Peace. By the way, litespeedchick, what I'm calling "One Dog" is what you're calling Pine Tree, and it's definitely closed. Peace again.

·
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I love home made trail names. Giving directions is a treat - especially when the lost person is using the "correct" trail name. Uh? Never heard of Side Hill.... If you had a conversation with us, you'd think we were talking another language. Brocollii, Blue Berry, Bucket - which isn't there anymore, btw - and those are just the "B" names.

Out of curiosity... One Dog. Is this referenced to the trail that goes very close to someone's house and then drops down to a neighborhood?

LSC: The only Pine Tree trail I every knew of is over by the lake.

The access behind my house has no name I was ever aware of. I was considering making up something new that involved sharp pointed sticks, but I think those will not be a landmark soon.

Be safe - wear your glasses. Stay off the no-name trails.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.