Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( First component on my bike that I am going to have to replace. Hit the logs way too many times...I need to learn to ride better :( Any recomendations for a good set of fairly cheap chainrings? Its for a specialized hardrock sport...which I believe is an 8 spd? The ring size are 42tx32tx22t. Also I think I will be getting a bashguard instead of getting the 42t.

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
I'm sure you use the same 3 rings up front as a 9 speed does. You probably have Specialize's in-house cranks, whatever the fock they're called (strong-arm I think)...you'll probably need to special order the rings from a specialized LBS...but maybe some other mtbr junky can help ya out with a better option.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Instead of buying new chainrings...

You could try taking your bike to your lbs shop and have them straighten it out. Same thing happened to me...the shop guy took a look at it, told me he'll see what he can do...10 minutes later its straight (not touching the front derailleur) and at NO charge....even though i had asked to change the largest chainring prior to him fixing it....

give it a try depending on how bent it is (mine was touching the derailleur a bit and clearly bent when you spin the crank fast..), even though i dont remember how it happened...its about 2 months now and still going...

welsh0913 said:
:( First component on my bike that I am going to have to replace. Hit the logs way too many times...I need to learn to ride better :( Any recomendations for a good set of fairly cheap chainrings? Its for a specialized hardrock sport...which I believe is an 8 spd? The ring size are 42tx32tx22t. Also I think I will be getting a bashguard instead of getting the 42t.

·
Registered
59 Posts
welsh0913 said:
You can surf the net and get good deals on chainrings from everyone who makes them,all you need to know id the tooth count you want and the BCD (bolt circle diameter).You can get a bashguard to replace your outer ring but they also make them to go along side your outer ring too,so you don't have to give up the 42t if you don't want to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mohhican said:
You could try taking your bike to your lbs shop and have them straighten it out. Same thing happened to me...the shop guy took a look at it, told me he'll see what he can do...10 minutes later its straight (not touching the front derailleur) and at NO charge....even though i had asked to change the largest chainring prior to him fixing it....

give it a try depending on how bent it is (mine was touching the derailleur a bit and clearly bent when you spin the crank fast..), even though i dont remember how it happened...its about 2 months now and still going...

My LBS offers free tuneups but when I talked to the guy working there he said that they need to be replaced and that it would cost somewhere around $90. I figured I could find a better deal online, and they would install it for free :D

The reason I took it into the bikshop in the first place was becuase on my ride that day my chain got stuck inbetween the rings. I spent around 20 minutes bashing at it and cut my fingers from the sharp teeths. I threw the bike in my van and took it to the shop...but by the time I got there it fixed itself...weirdest thing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
welsh0913 said:
:(
Its for a specialized hardrock sport...which I believe is an 8 spd? The ring size are 42tx32tx22t.
If you aren't sure how many speeds your bike is, try counting the cogs on that little cluster of gears attached to the hub on the right side of the rear wheel. :D

If there are 8 of those little toothy rings, you have an eight speed cassette. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an 8 speed :eek: :eek:

So how important is it for me to replace a bent chainring? I mean its working now and fine...makes noises a little bit and shifting is tougher but damn I don't feel like spending money right now :eek: :eek: :eek: I need to earn some more :eek:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do you really use the big ring much? If it is just the big ring that is bent, replace it with a bash guard. Gives you more clearance over logs and rocks and is much less likely to bend if hit. I have one and the only time I ever miss my big ring is when I have to hit a road to get to a trail. On the trail, I never miss it.

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
You can get a bashguard and keep the big ring if you want.. check out the Blackspire XC guard.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Take some pliars to it and bend the bent teeth back. I do it ALL the time (and rarely use the big ring anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts