Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent the stock cassette on my 29 fsr stumpy while back in DuPont. Granted it had about 1400-1600 miles and 3 chains on it. Got home to Indiana put a new chain and slx cassette on it and low and behold less then a 100 miles and new
Chain breaks 8 miles deep on a ride in the woods twice. Then found
My new cassette was bent. LBS took care of both. But I'm wandering why my new one bent so soon. Any one here have any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I've never bent a cassette or broken a chain in ± 15 years of mountain biking. I can only speculate that you are perhaps shifting gears under heavy load while climbing. I've seen/heard people doing that on rides and it sounds bad. It is always advisable to slack off on the power while changing or preferably if possible anticipate the gear you will need before the climb. If I'm off base here, I withdraw my comment.

·
On wuss patrol
5,045 Posts
You're a monster?

IDK. Your first cassette had worn out mileage on it but even then it's a little unusual to bend one. The new one may have been defective.

Any hard, clunky shifts lately that while out of character for you, could stress a cassette and break chains? Sometimes, things like this come in bunches for no apparent reason.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what happened in DuPont I was mashing the piss out it climbing big rock trail. But sat I was in bcsp in Indiana had already got my drive train shifted down and ready to climb when it broke. I've been riding a ss a lot that I built this winter. So I've gotten stronger and don't find myself shifting as much or umder a load like I used to.

·
change is good
3,215 Posts
Were you the guy walking out Saturday? I've bent cassettes and broken chains. Sometimes due to poor technique, other times because of my size. I think chains and cassettes have improved a lot lately because I have had few failures. Or it's because I'm getting old. I am fastidious about maintaing my chain. I can live with a dirty bike but not a dirty and/or unlubed chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts