Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding a front 27.5 Maxxis HRII EXO 3C TR 2.3 in the front and I have noted that it was out of true. Since truing wheels is not my specialty, I took it to my LBS, the wheels was not bad, they did a good job, installed the tire and I went riding. I noticed that the wheel was still bent. I took the tire off, verified that the wheel was straight, and it was straight. I mounted the tire and there you go, the tire is bent.
I filled out the maxxis warranty online form, and got in touched with Maxxis CS. I need to send the tire in order for them to inspect the tire and maybe get it replaced under warranty.
I never had a similiar issue with a tire before. Anybody has any experience with bent tire bead, is this an issue with Maxxis tires?

Thank you for your feedback.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You got a pic of it? Never had issues with Maxxis beads... I've only run UST or TR though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Had a similar issue with a maxxis dhf 2.3 exo tr. on my first ride I saw that it was warped, assumed that my wheel was out of true. Took the tire off, and the wheel was true. Put the tire back on and still warped, reseated the tire a few times, and the bead looked even around the rim but the warp remained. Was going to warranty the tire, but decided to just run it....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been riding a front 27.5 Maxxis HRII EXO 3C TR 2.3 in the front and I have noted that it was out of true. Since truing wheels is not my specialty, I took it to my LBS, the wheels was not bad, they did a good job, installed the tire and I went riding. I noticed that the wheel was still bent. I took the tire off, verified that the wheel was straight, and it was straight. I mounted the tire and there you go, the tire is bent.
I filled out the maxxis warranty online form, and got in touched with Maxxis CS. I need to send the tire in order for them to inspect the tire and maybe get it replaced under warranty.
I never had a similiar issue with a tire before. Anybody has any experience with bent tire bead, is this an issue with Maxxis tires?

Thank you for your feedback.

Same thing here. bead is warped and tire is wobbling. It is also burping on big jumps on USt 25mm internal rim.
Any success with warranty?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll keep you posted with the warranty claim. I rode the tire as much as possible, but I got to the point that touches the chainstay and it cannot be used anymore.
If I don't get it replaced by Maxxis, I won't buy Maxxis anymore.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ran HR2 Exo-TR 2.3 tires front and rear on my Blur for about a year. Both tires developed significant wobbles, which was definitely the tires and not the wheels. The rear was worse than the front to the point where I got sick of hearing riders following me telling me how my rear wheel was badly out of true. To be fair, I rode them hard over 1600km, so I'm not complaining. They held up very well considering my careless riding style!

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yup, have had it happen on several HR2s 29" version, but it seems to maybe also be something happening in a few brands, having the casing deform, as I've seen other tyres develop it. One question is, did you crash your bike to put your wheel out of true? Ask as a crash, if you hit the tyre hard enough can mess up the casing. I think Maxxis is aware of this happening and you should get it warranted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
No crashing or hitting anything hard. I think It happened after a small jump, small meaning 3 foot jump, smooth and straight landing. My wheel was not bent, just minimal and normal out of true after a year of riding without maintenance.
It should not happen even if you ride the tire to the ground. It never happened with WTB, Schwalbe or Specialized tires, which I really abused in AM trails.
BTW, I'm a 175lbs rider, so it's not a weight related issue.

·
Registered
731 Posts
yes!! I had this happen with 2 of my 27.5 Maxxis HRII EXO 3C TR 2.3 tires. It annoys the crap outta me. Plenty of tread left on the tire and the rims as true as can be(enve's). :madman::madmax::madman::madmax:

In my case I know for certain there was 2 different scenarios that distorted the tire:

1. Riding and had a hard impact to the rear tire that distorted the sidewall.

2. When I change between tires on the wheels, ENVE wheels are so damned tight its damn near impossible to get the tire bead on the rim... i had to roll the tire bead over with all my might to get it to slip over the rim. I think that is what caused the sidewall to distort.

Never had any issues with any other tire distorting except for the HRII...but its a damn fine tire when its straight so I'll put up with it, if its on the rear wheel don't really notice it.

Thought about sending it in for a warranty but didn't feel like putting up with all the CS BS. ... let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: After sending my tire a month plus ago I got a brand new replacement on the mail last Wednesday. They honored the warranty and I got a brand new HRII EXO 3C TR 2.3. I will be removing the crappy Schwalbe Hans Dampf ASAP, since the HR has wayyy more grip than the HD.
Send your tires back to Maxxis for replacement!
Cheers

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Has anyone noticed corner lugs cracking at the base on their HR II 3C TR's? Especially when mounted in front? Looks like it won't be long before it starts shedding corner lugs and the tire barely has any wear. Probably only about 100 miles on it if that.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
They're Maxxis, not Schwalbe, the knobs won't start shedding just like that :p Seriously, this happens with the 3C compound, but so far I haven't seen any knobs come off of them and we've got about 10 or more guys running them down here. Also had it happen with my Trail Extreme Chunky Monkey as they got older, no isse with the normal version of the CM or HR2s, so guessing TE and 3C is about the sale durometer, 40A.

Has anyone noticed corner lugs cracking at the base on their HR II 3C TR's? Especially when mounted in front? Looks like it won't be long before it starts shedding corner lugs and the tire barely has any wear. Probably only about 100 miles on it if that.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
They're Maxxis, not Schwalbe, the knobs won't start shedding just like that :p Seriously, this happens with the 3C compound, but so far I haven't seen any knobs come off of them and we've got about 10 or more guys running them down here. Also had it happen with my Trail Extreme Chunky Monkey as they got older, no isse with the normal version of the CM or HR2s, so guessing TE and 3C is about the sale durometer, 40A.
I dunno - seems like more than just surface cracking. There's also a crack in the casing that's developing (1st pic below). Looks like won't be long until some lugs tear off.

·
Registered
11,036 Posts
Years ago I read a tip for getting tyres to true up on the rim and it has worked every time I've tried it.

Run detergent around the bead and fit the tyre. Blow it up to as high a pressure as you dare! Going a bit over the max rated pressure is ok as you're not going to ride on it. Leave it sitting overnight and then let it down to your desired pressure.

I first tried this on some Continental tyres that I just could not get to sit straight and it worked a treat. Done it many times since and it always works. Sometimes, if the tyre is bad, it doesn't straighten up perfectly but it's close enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts