Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my crankset because I bent the axel on my truvativ stylo. I would like some suggestions based on the following parameters: Relatively light, with bash guard, decent clearance, around $300 or less. I have an 06/07 specialized s works enduro. I've been looking at the race face diabolous type x, and the shimano slx 665. Let me know what you guys think!

· Registered
95 Posts
i would definately say SLX ive had mine since they appeared on chain reaction 22.36.bash configuration and it is fab. virtually no flex and i usually batter my cranks the race face stuff is amazing but muuuch more expensive for a smaller increase in stiffness/strength.

· Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
603 Posts
alimaclikespie said:
i would definately say SLX ive had mine since they appeared on chain reaction 22.36.bash configuration and it is fab. virtually no flex and i usually batter my cranks the race face stuff is amazing but muuuch more expensive for a smaller increase in stiffness/strength.
+1 Ive own and ride 2006 Saints and 2008 XTs and the SLXs in 22/36/bash and love them. Just as good as the other shimano stuff i own

· Registered
1,545 Posts
I like the Shimano system better than the Race Face. I ran Atlas for a while and had constant problems with washers/spacers wearing. They were warrantied one time.

Been using XT for the past two years with no problems.

Go SLX, or XT, or Saint. They are all good.

· Just roll it......
7,619 Posts
Jim311 said:
Just curious.. how do you know the axle is bent, and not the crank arms?
+1 on this question.

Reason I ask is my Stylo cranks were perfect for about a year and then, all of a sudden, I started going through BB's like crazy. Also, they come loose all the time now as well. This was while running it on the same bike.

I've since installed them on another (brand new) bike and it's remained an issue with the same results. I suppose I could pull my crank and check to see if the spindle is indeed bent, but that's what I suspect after I recently went through a set of enduro bearings on mine.

For the record, I do believe mine was bent when I cased a gap (something I do on occasion).

Cheers,
EB

· Registered
3,051 Posts
The Shimano SLX double is really nice.

I run the Gravity Lites; with a bashguard they weight pretty close to what my old XT's weighed. Not a single issue with them yet. Can be had for under $200.

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim311 said:
I pulled the crank and the axle is visibly bent, but only slightly. I caught it while going through a section of big rocks with lots of narrow gaps. I was probably going about 10 mph and came to a complete stop when my bottom bracket and base of the crank-arm hit. For the rest of the ride there was a clunk every time I got to a certain part of my pedal stroke.

· Registered
87 Posts
ebxtreme said:
+1 on this question.

Reason I ask is my Stylo cranks were perfect for about a year and then, all of a sudden, I started going through BB's like crazy. Also, they come loose all the time now as well. This was while running it on the same bike.

I've since installed them on another (brand new) bike and it's remained an issue with the same results. I suppose I could pull my crank and check to see if the spindle is indeed bent, but that's what I suspect after I recently went through a set of enduro bearings on mine.

For the record, I do believe mine was bent when I cased a gap (something I do on occasion).

Cheers,
EB
EB, Your spindle could be bent but the other thing that's common on cranks with a pinch style non-drive arm or tapered for that matter is wear. The spline interface between the crank arm and spindle can be worn or fatigued which causes it to come loose or draw on too far and/or wear the bearing prematurely. Replacing the non drive arm can fix this problem. It's hard to notice but it is very common with FSA and Tuvative cranks over a couple years old.

· ballbuster
12,709 Posts
How the crud did you manage that?

tonloc08 said:
I need to replace my crankset because I bent the axel on my truvativ stylo. I would like some suggestions based on the following parameters: Relatively light, with bash guard, decent clearance, around $300 or less. I have an 06/07 specialized s works enduro. I've been looking at the race face diabolous type x, and the shimano slx 665. Let me know what you guys think!
I haven't heard of anybody bending a crank since square taper was the thing.

I would vote for SLX/LX or XT. Shimano has their act together in this department. The stuff is stiff as heck, not too heavy, and not too expensive.

· ballbuster
12,709 Posts
.... or...

Jim311 said:
... the splined interface on the crank. Sometimes if you ride them when loose, they develop play around the crank arm/bb interface.

Still, replace them if they did that. Once the crank/bb interface is boogered up, they will never work right again.

· ballbuster
12,709 Posts
Nice!

tonloc08 said:
Thanks for all of your advice! I went with the shimano slx due to it's positive feedback and I got it for $160 from tree fort bikes which I thought was a smokin' deal!
Good move. I suggest installing the crank arm with a good quality torque wrench just to be sure you aren't over or under tightening them. It's easy to crank down on those M5 crank arm bolts and strip them... and if they work loose, your cranks get ruined.

· Banned
16,463 Posts
Splined interfaces- a trick I learned from replacing driveshafts on cars: Put loctite on the splines. If one does this, the crank will almost certainly never come loose and it's not really a pain to remove, either. I've also done this on Octalink and ISIS "splines" with good results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.