Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be vacationing in Flag the first week in August and planning to get out for a few early morning rides while the family sleeps... I'd like to get out to the Benham Trail near Williams since I never got to ride it while I lived in AZ; does anyone know of a trail map? I've read descriptions, but they vary... sounds like there are different ways to do it and there might be a bit of road riding, which I'd like to avoid (would like to park as close to the trail head as possible)... any suggestions to make the ride quicker since I'll be somewhat pressed for time; I'd like to get the most bang-per-minute...

Again, a trail map would tell the most...

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,535 Posts
Did you run a search in the AZ forum? I've posted it a few times.

You have to ride the road to link it with Bill Williams Trail, and Bill Williams Trail is a friggin hoot, super fun trail.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jayem said:
Did you run a search in the AZ forum? I've posted it a few times.

You have to ride the road to link it with Bill Williams Trail, and Bill Williams Trail is a friggin hoot, super fun trail.
Yea, in fact I recognize you from those posts... I didn't see mention of the Bill Williams trail though, maybe that's what was throwing me. So it sounds like Benham isn't a loop then? How long are Bill Williams and Benham seperately? How much road riding is there? I've seen mileage descriptions varying from 4.5-15 miles for Benham, don't know what those distances include though. Know of a Bill Williams map? That might help... Sorry for all the questions, but since I'd like to be back to the Hotel in Flag before noon, I'd like to have as much figured out as possible before I get there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Okay, I just saw that your description included both on the "Benham Trail/Bill Williams Trail" page... I guess some have a way of doing it without Bill Williams, hence the shortened trail lengths.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
try the bill williams triple-dipper! gaurenteed to whoop up on ya good: park at benham TH, ride up benham to the 3rd road crossing, after that it gets really overgrown with wild rose. ride up the road to the bill williams trail, and down it. keep you eye out for the junction with bixler saddle trail, and go down it to the saddle, it is SWEET. at the saddle, ride back up bixler and finish BW trail. water up at the ranger station, and go back up the BW trail to the 1st trail left, and take it to williams, and just before the dam go to the W. side of the lake and ride the cool trail to the road. take the road to the dirt road to the 3rd road crossing on benham again, and downhill benham trail to your car............also, there is a cool trail from the ski area parking lot to the BW trail............steve.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,535 Posts
coconinocycles said:
try the bill williams triple-dipper! gaurenteed to whoop up on ya good: park at benham TH, ride up benham to the 3rd road crossing, after that it gets really overgrown with wild rose. ride up the road to the bill williams trail, and down it. keep you eye out for the junction with bixler saddle trail, and go down it to the saddle, it is SWEET. at the saddle, ride back up bixler and finish BW trail. water up at the ranger station, and go back up the BW trail to the 1st trail left, and take it to williams, and just before the dam go to the W. side of the lake and ride the cool trail to the road. take the road to the dirt road to the 3rd road crossing on benham again, and downhill benham trail to your car............also, there is a cool trail from the ski area parking lot to the BW trail............steve.
Good info, although after the 3rd road crossing the trail is usually fine, save for one steep chute right before it the top.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coconinocycles said:
Downhill back to the car... I like that ending :thumbsup:

Steve, I checked out your blog; where was the picture taken with the tunneled rock? Beautiful frames by the way...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.