Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bigger tire
are they any? I'm noob, i ride a specialized hard tail, my trails are wet or damped most of the time and i feel my back tire slipping on rocks and roots some times..would a rear wider tire would help me feeling or "trusting" the bike more? or thats just the behavior of a hard tail?

dropper seat
any thoughts?

Bi King Tmars Remote Adjustable Seat Post 27 2x425mm ZG19K | eBay

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it has a 2.1'' tire right now and about 1/2 inch gap around seat/chain stays.. clearance too tight?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire pressure and tread design are as important as width. Ask around to see what would be a good tire for your area.
well most the bikes I've seen are full blown DH bikes and thats what i see on them, I'm guessing they're 3'' tires cuz they are fat as hell..

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I'm gonna say:

A 3 inch tire will not fit your specialized hardtail, nor would you want one of it did.

What you see on dh bikes is usually a 2.5 up to 2.7. The 2.5 folding tires, for example specialized Butcher xs 2.5, are rideable if they fit in your frame, they obviously don't climb well but you can get em to the top. Above that, like a 2.5 wire bead or 2.7s, are even beefier, reeealy don't climb very well and are often heavy with the wire bead and with very tough sidewalls. Most people climb with their hardtail so assuming you do too and these tires will be overkill. Above that, the 3 inch plus tires are for fat bikes with special frames, rims and gearing to make it work.

I recommend you ask about your specific bike in the specialized forum and see what your frame will take. But don't assume the biggest tire for your frame is the best. Traction is a skill that comes with time and you'll get confidence from learning cornering technique, technical climbing technique, appropriate fore/aft weighting in different situations, and, lots of practice. There are no silver bullets.

Secondly, definitely no on a no-name dropper. Nothing wrong with eBay, just get a known brand (ks, fox, gravity, specialized, rock shox). Dropper posts are finicky and maintenance prone as it is, a no-name dropper will undoubtedly be a train wreck.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
I would go with a regular sized (I like something in the 2.22-2.4 range myself) tire designed for the conditions you ride. Something in a softer rubber compound will make a lot more difference than simply going bigger. A 3" tire with a hard compound will be slipperier than a 2.3" tire made from a more sticky rubber (and likely will be too fat for your frame to begin with).

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
I had a 2.1 and went to a 2.3,, much better in sugar sand, corners, roots, everything..

Most likely was the rubber compound on all points except the sand...

Also allowed me to run lower pressure,,

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies i know theres no magic equipment that is gonna make me a better rider but after 2hrs of ridding I'm beat to the pulp and don't really like unexpected behavior/ sliding .. honestly didn't know they where some many kinds of tires out there .. Choosing the Right Tire for your Mountain Bike | Tom Stokes .. just read that article it broke it down pretty nice , i think I'm gonna try the 70/42/40 compound on a 2.3'' .. thank God i asked at $60 each i don't want to be wasting money on something that its not gonna work..

Secondly, definitely no on a no-name dropper. Nothing wrong with eBay, just get a known brand (ks, fox, gravity, specialized, rock shox). Dropper posts are finicky and maintenance prone as it is, a no-name dropper will undoubtedly be a train wreck.
thanks, at a 1/4 of the price of the ''brand'' names i though it might be worth a try.. but u get what u pay for so it makes sense it will be crappy

thanks guys.

·
squish, squish in da fish
1,712 Posts
heres a review on your dropper. http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/origin8-ultim8-adjustable-seatpost-review-881782.html it is a gravity dropper clone and i have the origin 8 with hundreds of miles on it. haven't had one problem other than it being a little weak on full extension, easy fix though. i bought a cheapo as i was unsure of a dropper being practical for me. one of the biggest bang for the buck on my rig.

as far as tires, i wouldn't go w/ anything over 2.4 in the rear and that's only if it fits nicely in there. i believe wider rims (35-45mm), psi, and tread will be your friend.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heres a review on your dropper. http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/origin8-ultim8-adjustable-seatpost-review-881782.html it is a gravity dropper clone and i have the origin 8 with hundreds of miles on it. haven't had one problem other than it being a little weak on full extension, easy fix though. i bought a cheapo as i was unsure of a dropper being practical for me. one of the biggest bang for the buck on my rig.

as far as tires, i wouldn't go w/ anything over 2.4 in the rear and that's only if it fits nicely in there. i believe wider rims (35-45mm), psi, and tread will be your friend.
thanks.. nice thread it really helped, i think ama get one now, I'm trying to make a list of things i want/need.. dropper post, pedals, tires anything that would want me to ride more without getting in too deep in cash..

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm running a 2.35 kenda kinetics up front and like it a lot better than the 1.95 I had.. But 3? I don't think it would fit my fork, and that would be a bit over kill

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I'm not saying new equipment won't help, but it's not the end all answer. If you are a noob, your technique probably isn't all that good. I'd work on improving your skills before going on a spending spree. Equipment can only help so much.

Most people, if they run one tire wider than the other, keep the wider tire up front and not in the rear. 2.25" is a safe bet for tire width. I don't know how 2.4"s will go with your rims, which I assume are on the narrower side, or your frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts