Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,772 Posts
vortrex said:
what's the real benefit (if any) of having a SS hub on a SS specific frame vs just using spacers and cogs on a standard freewheel hub?
You can have a wheel without the dish, and use the single speed freewheels which range from low cost and almost silent Shimanos to the high-end stuff from specialty makers. I have a Paul single speed hub and it's also very light.

I can't speak for all, but my single speed wheel with single speed frame and crank have the right chain alignment, and has geometery that feels good when standing.
 

·
Retro Grouch
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
It's all about bling, bacon and eggs...

vortrex said:
what's the real benefit (if any) of having a SS hub on a SS specific frame vs just using spacers and cogs on a standard freewheel hub?
When is the last time you heard of a MTB wheel failing because it was dished? Anyone? anyone?.... Spacers and cogs work great and are much easier to change than freewheels. The Shimano "Center Lock" disc brake system is also about 100 grams less per hub than most other disc hub systems including SS. They are also cheaper amd easier to find in a pinch.

Bacon and eggs? When it comes to SS, the pig is more committed ;) .

1G1G, Brad
 

·
The man who fell to earth
Joined
·
335 Posts
Very little benefit...

...and a whole lot of disadvantages. In my well substantiated opinion (based on extensive experience with both systems) the standard converted hub (i.e. shimano XT grade) is far superior overall to the various SS specific hubs. The only possible exception is the ENO hub, which does offer a very nice chain tensioning system for non SS frames (i.e. w/vertical dropouts). Although it still uses the BMX FW system which also has many disadvantages as described in the referenced posts.

Here's a recent link where this topic was beaten to death. There are others too, just do a search and also read the FAQ (linked above) and then decide for yourself.

Good luck:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=876062#post876062

vortrex said:
what's the real benefit (if any) of having a SS hub on a SS specific frame vs just using spacers and cogs on a standard freewheel hub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
aka brad said:
When is the last time you heard of a MTB wheel failing because it was dished?
who said anything about failing?

non-dished = less prone to go out of true/round
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is "the dish"?

so if you run a SS hub and freewheel with an SS crankset (truvativ) the chances are you're going to have the proper chainline and no adjustment is needed?

bitflogger said:
You can have a wheel without the dish, and use the single speed freewheels which range from low cost and almost silent Shimanos to the high-end stuff from specialty makers. I have a Paul single speed hub and it's also very light.

I can't speak for all, but my single speed wheel with single speed frame and crank have the right chain alignment, and has geometery that feels good when standing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, #1 is the only thing this SS newbie could think of.

Downhill Dawg said:
1) ability to thread a cog on each side of the hub. easy uninstall with use of a breaker bar or workbench vise.
2) rhythmic sounds of the ACS clackity-clack.
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
vortrex said:
yeah, #1 is the only thing this SS newbie could think of.
Am I the only one here who had the single cog method damage the cassette freehub shell splines? It got so bad that I had to change the alignment location of my cog on the hub shell when I switched out to another sized gear.

There you go, a bona fide reason to go with a dedicated SS freewheel and hub. Of course it took me a while to figure out that I should remove my freewheel once in a while to make sure it doesn't weld itself to the threads on my hub.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top