Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently overhauld my 2 spd kick back with regular old phil wood bike grease from my local shop. During the first couple days the grease oozed out from both sides. I figured I just had to much in there. I just pulled it apart again cause it was making a funny sound only to find most of the grease was out. They grease get hot from the friction of the hubs movement turning and become more liquidy. What kind of grease will work better for higher heat. I am thinking about cv joint grease for a car?

Anyone with any insight please!! let me know

Thanks, Will

·
He be a moose too.
2,172 Posts
I would be surprised that the Phil Wood grease wouldn't work. I've never had any issues with it. While another grease might deal with the heat better and I can't give you an answer to this, ask yourself, "Why is this grease getting so hot?"

Cycling components are not high temperature items, as compared to something in an auto engine, what else in the hub is generating heat? Is there some place else that needs to be lubed where the heat is spilling over into where the Phil grease is or is that section you've greased, damaged and producing excess heat.

I'm not knowledgeable about that part in specific, high temp grease doesn't sound like the end solution.

Pinguwin

·
Registered
41 Posts
The heat is generated by the friction of the brake shoes being forced against the inside of the hub shell. It's what brakes do, convert motion to heat.
In my kickback and manual 2 spd. Bendix's, I use Valvoline Synpower Synthetic Grease. It's the best I could find, made for wheel bearings, cv joints, etc. Hangs in at hi temps. I've gotten my yellow band hub way too hot to touch, but the grease remained viscous.
Any auto parts store ought to carry it - gold colored can

·
He be a moose too.
2,172 Posts
Velofix, I thought about the brakes generating that heat but I don't remember them being so hot as to require a special grease. Is it standard to use a high-temp grease? As I mentioned, I'm not familiar with that part in specific.

'Guin

·
dis member
298 Posts
Napa Auto Parts

I use High Temp Disc Brake Bearing Grease on my New Departure clutches, similar to your Red Band set up.

I also use White Lithium on the bearings on the same hubs, but any decent Lithium or Molybdenum grease, including Phil, will work on the bearings. I suspect the ooze is coming out of the brake clutches. Don't run 'em dry, or you'll be replacing 'em soon.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pinguin,

Yeah, remember the stories about how way back when Tom Ritchie and those guys used to race clunkers downhill? They'd have to repack their coaster brake hubs with grease after each race because they'd get so hot the grease would boil out of them. That's how the mountain they used got it's name, "Repack". True story.

backpedal wrote:

"I use High Temp Disc Brake Bearing Grease on my New Departure clutches, similar to your Red Band set up."

That's the difference between the red and yellow band Bendix kickbacks, by the way. The older reds used a disc pack for braking, then they redesigned the hub to use shoes and put yellow stripes on 'em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.