Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rumor has it there are trails free of snow out at Horse Butte, not to be confused with Horse Ridge. Has anyone ridden at Horse Butte? From what I know the butte is out off of China Hat road and is close to where the China Hat road black top ends and the dirt road begins.

I have done some off-roading in a friends 4runner out in that area, but I have never MTB'ed out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
BFE

·
Registered
330 Posts
BigEd.

Yeah. My in-laws live near the TH so I ride out there a couple times a winter usually. Haven't ridden yet this winter. I like the riding out there too. The riding has better views than The Maston, but similar XC feel.. There's less climbing than Horse Ridge. Can horsey and sandy. Should be getting good about now though. Typically any trails in that area that are in the woods are snow covered. Coyote Loop is not in the woods. But expect blowdown from the old burned trees and all the wind we've been having.

The trail systems is on the old Treadmaps 'Bend II map. The Coyote Loop is what I usually ride in the winter. Its out in the open of the old skeleton fire that burned out there 10 yrs ago.

To access TH. From Hwy 20 east. Take Ward Rd south to Billadeau Rd, which becomes Horse Butte Rd. Once the road turns to gravel. Look for Horse Butte TH parking area on right and FS trail sign on east side of road marking Coyote Loop. There are some spotty signs out there to help navigate. My Treadmap shows 9 miles for the loop.

CK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.