Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any saddle recommendations for a clumsy 200 pound guy that likes doing drops on his SC Heckler and has bent the rails on two WTB Laser V's with hollow Ti rails. I need a saddle that is comfortable enough for general trail riding, but can take some (occassionally clumsy) drops. I really liked the comfort of the Laser V's, but they obviously aren't durable enough for my clutziness. I'm looking at the (new chromoly rail) Azonic Hot Seat, the Titec Berserkr, and maybe a Primo Hemmoroid (sp?). I'm using a Thomson seat post, so it would be nice if the rails were compatible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Don

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
I'm running the Titec Beserker DH, great seat, and I haven't bent the rails yet... But they don't look supar burley. Go with something that has oversized cromo rails. Or maybe a SDG I-Beam Saddle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bent Rails on WTB's

Friend had the same problem and called WTB to see about getting it fixed (new rails). He was told by WTB that the steel rails (not the cromo ones) were the strongest if he didn't mind the added weight. He explained that the titanium rails were'nt the strongest (which I was under the impression they were).

So if you really wanted to keep the laser v, ship it back.

-bmg

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have found that there is no seat that is going to stand up to the punishment. You just have to hope that when you bend them they are still rideable. I have had bent rails on my Azonic Loveseat for the past month but they bent evenly so I am still using it.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Just stay away from ti rails, especially hollow ones. Ti rails are about being light, not strong.
Get crmo rails on your next seat (I like the Berserkr, too).

·
Registered
112 Posts
My SDG Grand Prix with Chromo rails survived a lot of mistakes, crashes and ass-slams from Dirt jumping and drops.
I broke three seatpost-heads and clamps (Ritchey), but the rails of my SDG are still straight.

Keep in mind that a seatpost with a small rail grip length is much harder on the rails than for example a Thomson elite seatpost with a longer grip length.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback!

I obviously don't mean to sit on the saddle when doing drops, SMT! :) But, I screw up. A lot. ;) Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll try to find a good Cromo railed saddle and probaby send my bent Laser V back to WTB to see if they can replace the rails.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
gonzostrike said:
jeezus why do you idiots SIT DOWN when doing drops?

and second,

why do you FAT IDIOTS get Ti rails?

morons.
Hey JackA$$, I just said I don't sit on the saddle when doing drops, but I also said that I'm clumsy. Sometimes my foot comes off and I hit the seat.

and secondly, just because you are a puny little twerp, don't assume that someone who weighs 200 pounds is a FAT IDIOT. I have very little bodyfat, I just happen to be muscular. I didn't know that Ti rails were weaker than chromoly rails, or I probably would have bought them. I've had Ti rails for years and not had a problem with them.

Thanks so much for your helpfull post, A$$hole, now go eff yourself.

Don

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Perfect timing for this thread. This morning as I attempted to fix the left-to-right lean my seat had developed, I managed to pull the damn seat right off the rail. Is there any easy to get the seat back on the steel rail...or is it going back to WTB?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
dbreda said:
Hey JackA$$, I just said I don't sit on the saddle when doing drops, but I also said that I'm clumsy. Sometimes my foot comes off and I hit the seat.

and secondly, just because you are a puny little twerp, don't assume that someone who weighs 200 pounds is a FAT IDIOT. I have very little bodyfat, I just happen to be muscular. I didn't know that Ti rails were weaker than chromoly rails, or I probably would have bought them. I've had Ti rails for years and not had a problem with them.

Thanks so much for your helpfull post, A$$hole, no go eff yourself.

Don
I think that was just some Gonzostrike sarcasmn. :D

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
Perfect timing for this thread. This morning as I attempted to fix the left-to-right lean my seat had developed, I managed to pull the damn seat right off the rail. Is there any easy to get the seat back on the steel rail...or is it going back to WTB?
going back to WTB

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
Ya I bent my Laser V Ti rails to. I just picked up a Speed V w/ Cromo rails, maybe that will hold up better but I know they'll eventually bend for big guys like us. My advice is not to buy expensive saddles.
Oh and gonzostrike, if you don't have anything to add to the post then shut up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.