Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was riding this afternoon (4 ish) near the COD/Marvin junction (about .5 mile up COD to be exact - before it drops down to that rocky section near the highway) and saw a big cat run across the trail, crouch down in the brush when I stopped and just watch me. I thought it was a mountain lion and watched it for about 30 seconds. Not wanting to threaten the cat or push my luck, I slowly went on my way.

When I was riding away, the cat got up and I think I saw a short tail. So I gather it was not a mountain lion, but a bobcat or a lynx?

So, what did I most likely see: Bobcat? Lynx? What do we have around here?

Pretty cool to see either way! Thanks,

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Probably a bobcat. Lots of them around in Central OR, though I've never been lucky enough to see one. No lynx as far south as Oregon, last I'd heard.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Probably a bobcat. Lots of them around in Central OR, though I've never been lucky enough to see one. No lynx as far south as Oregon, last I'd heard.
^^^ This, for certain, with the short tail.

But, boy! You've seen wild ***** ("pussie", for the ever-present censors) on the trail. How exciting for you!

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Lynx were spotted in the whoops area last fall. We have allmost every kind of predator. A wolf from the Imnaha pack, was tracked and spotted fairly close to bend in recent weeks. We also have black bear; see signs of them all the time in the upper phils area.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Lynx were spotted in the whoops area last fall. We have allmost every kind of predator. A wolf from the Imnaha pack, was tracked and spotted fairly close to bend in recent weeks. We also have black bear; see signs of them all the time in the upper phils area.
I'm kind of doubting on that lynx statement. Many minutes of serious Googling makes that seem very, very unlikely.

Like GB says, most likely a bobcat.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
I hadn't heard of lynx being spotted south of Washington's counties that border Canada.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Isn't a Lynx and a Bobcat extremely similar?

edit: Google says they are similar weights, but the more north you go the more fur growth.

Lynx, Bobcat... Same thing???

Canada Lynx

Bobcat caught in Oregon.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Was riding this afternoon (4 ish) near the COD/Marvin junction (about .5 mile up COD to be exact - before it drops down to that rocky section near the highway) and saw a big cat run across the trail, crouch down in the brush when I stopped and just watch me. I thought it was a mountain lion and watched it for about 30 seconds. Not wanting to threaten the cat or push my luck, I slowly went on my way.

When I was riding away, the cat got up and I think I saw a short tail. So I gather it was not a mountain lion, but a bobcat or a lynx?

So, what did I most likely see: Bobcat? Lynx? What do we have around here?

Pretty cool to see either way! Thanks,
Housecat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on a little research and posted pictures/comments, it matches all the descriptins of a Bobcat as most of you stated. Definately not a housecat!!!!

Cool to see one in nature, and so close to town. Keep your eyes open, they are out there.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Based on a little research and posted pictures/comments, it matches all the descriptins of a Bobcat as most of you stated. Definately not a housecat!!!!

Cool to see one in nature, and so close to town. Keep your eyes open, they are out there.
:D I could not resist.

I was at a resort where a guest was excited to see a "huge cougar" in in front of the lodge. It was the resident housecat.

·
Registered
885 Posts
NastyNick;8523337 A wolf from the Imnaha pack.... said:
Just got back from vacationing in La Grande for the past week. Is this the same Imnaha you're talking about? Those wolves sure know how to get around. BTW, I loved the riding up there in the Wallowas, it was fantastic!

Good to know it was a Bobcat I killed accidentally at Bingen several years back on my way to Taylor Lake to chase trains, I felt so damn bad. Dragging his limp body with bright green eyes off of Highway 14 will be a day I nerve forget. Sucked....such a beautiful animal. Glad I didn't get as lucky as the OP. That would scared the hell outta me!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I pulled off the road in Yellowstone Park to see what the crown was gawking at. Everyone in the crowd was saying there was a wolf playing back in the trees. Turned out a coyote was jumping back and forth over a downed tree. I exclaimed lodly, "Aw, that's a coyote." Scorn was heaped upon me. Dirty looks. Anger. Twenty people gawking, and I couldn't convince a one of them it was a coyote....which it clearly was. Got in the car and left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.