Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share some photos of the trails around Bend, Oregon. We have a strong Trail Alliance that spends over 1000 hours a year working on trails, building new trails, fixing berms, adding jumps and overall getting out and enjoying our trails.
Our trails are smooth.. you can get some speed and just lean into corners, launch over jumps, rocks and spend your whole day riding singletrack without crossing your trail.
Come Ride!

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can start in town at 3400 ft. or up in the Cascade Mountains as high as 7000 ft. Either ride around alpine lakes, or down to the breweries in town.
Interested in just riding and not dealing with hotels - get in touch with us! Cog Wild

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,998 Posts
I love that area........would love to see a really good shuttle DH trail out there

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The downhill trails are being built right now! After years working with the foreset service, last weekend 100 people went out to cut the first three trail out. They all start at the top of a butte that you can do loops riding your bike up and choose the different trails/line to go down..there is a huge hucking community in Bend and a lot of them work in construction so expect a lot of good stuff. Maybe everyone won't need to commute to Whistler every summer everymore!!

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
With all due respect for your passion about riding bikes, which you obviously have if you're running a touring company, you're likely to get smacked down if you keep spamming the board. If people ask about visiting Bend, by all means speak up (IMO), otherwise just participate in the discussions without pushing your (no doubt excellent -- it looks like lovely country) tours at every opportunity. Again, IMO.

:)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
since when is boasting about volunteerism and new trails spam? Or did I miss something in this thread?

~formica

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
formica said:
since when is boasting about volunteerism and new trails spam? Or did I miss something in this thread?

~formica
You missed this maybe:

Cog Wild said:
Interested in just riding and not dealing with hotels - get in touch with us! Cog Wild

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
yeah, I did miss that, the pictures are so much more interesting and so is reading about 1000 hours of volunteerism.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear you about pushing the business. Although it would be great if people did come and do a tour with us, I am just as interested, if not more in spreading the word about the trails in the area. There is a lot going on in our community and we are very dedicated to mountain biking. This weekend is the Big Fat Tour, a three day RIDE, not race, put on by just a bunch of us individuals who support wanting to share the trails. Tomorrow is 98 miles of singletrack, Saturday 50 and Sunday 20. The only person who gains from this ride is the local trail alliance as it is a fundraiser for them. The more people who ride here the more people join COTA (Central Oregon Trail Alliance) and the more mollah we have to buy tools, do environmental reports and have work parties that gets 100 people out on the trails. Check out the website there as well: cotamtb.org.
So no pushing the business, just the passion people in the area have for our mountain bike community and where we ride.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Keep posting Cog

Great photos and story about a functioning mountain bike community. :thumbsup:

Road trips for mountain biking from Alaska are tough - but I know that for my next one I'm stoping in Bend. And, if I'm lucky - I'll have the chance to volunteer some trail work myself!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jessep said:
What is the climate like there in the winter? Riding still a possibility? I like fast smooth trails too....
Limited because of snow. There are some good ones east of town.

·
Registered
16,818 Posts
Jessep said:
What is the climate like there in the winter? Riding still a possibility? I like fast smooth trails too....
It snowed and rained so much last winter that I was off the bike for about 8 weeks straight. Contrast that to the prior year when I rode all the way through.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
We did our yearly "big road trip" (up from S. Cal) to Bend via Mammoth, CA, etc., summer of '05. We had a BLAST! Really great stuff all around the Bend / Sisters area. I have a childhood friend that lives in Bend, so we had a personal tour guide.

Can't wait to get back up there.

Thanks to everyone that maintains and builds the trails there!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right now the trails are great. We have not had any rain or snow in over a month and then it was 100 days prior for the last rain. It is suppost to rain on Sunday and everyone is looking forward to it - although it is beautiful to be riding through the changing colors, rain to settle dust is always welcome! Right now every trail in the area is open including everything in the Cascade Mountains. The alpine lake loops are great although swimming season is past and McKenzie River Trail is riding amazing right now - no dust or mud!!! This is the best time to be here, most of the tourists have gone home, the days are warm and Deschutes Brewery has started to release the winter ales... you can never go wrong!
Come Ride, or as we like to say here: You guys riding?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts