Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just got my daughter her first mountain bike.

Looking for some basic dirt trails or even just forest service roads for her to ride to get the hang of it.

We rode Shevlin park a couple times on her old crappy bike. We could of course ride that again, but its a little short. She was not ready to go across and ride the hill side back for the loop. Just up to that point and back. She could do it on this bike now that she has gears, but I want her to really feel comfortable on it before trying. And we would like to try some different areas too.

So. Any other easy rides like Shevlin? I see the maps with all the main trails on them, but what about other trails? Are those just maintained trails? I know ive been out hunting and hiking and saw mountain bikes on all sorts of different trails that are not on any of those trail maps. One was around Charlton Lake and Found Lake and around Gerdine Butte, etc.

Was thinking DRT, but looking at some youtube vids of it, that even may be a little much for her right now. She is 9, but this is her first shifting bike.

Dont mind just hitting some FS roads, but would like a somewhat trail if I could.

Any thoughts, ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
COTA had created a kids trail that goes from Phil's Trailhead out to the chicken and back. When you leave the trailhead now there's some small flaming chicken signs that kids can follow. The signs take you from Phil's TH to Marvin's to the gravel road all the way to the chicken. Then you can ride the one-way Phil's Trail back from the chicken all the way to the Trailhead.

·
Registered
16,013 Posts
The classic beginner and kids' ride was Phil's out to the chicken and back, but since it became one-way (towards the TH) a couple of weeks ago it's no longer a viable option. The loop Henry described is how it goes now.

FYI Marvin's has a sandwich board at the trailhead stating that it's closed right now due to the fire conditions maintenance project from last weekend. You would have to ride down the paved road until it turns to gravel then hang a right onto the forest road mentioned above. It's pretty easy to find.

You could also ride out and back on Kent's trail a couple of miles until it starts to climb up steeply at an area people refer to as the "elevator shaft." Your daughter might be able to climb up it but it also might be challenging for her.

If you start on the DRT out by Dillon Falls and head upstream towards Sunriver past Ryan Ranch meadow it's pretty mellow (and pretty) for at least a mile. My girls really enjoyed that ride when they were younger, especially in the spring when the caterpillar nests are active and squirming.

·
On wuss patrol
5,057 Posts
And when she's ready to branch out a bit more and try new stuff, the DRT from Sunriver is pretty family friendly. Park at the trailhead at the north end of the resort, ride single track through the forest, eventually following the river and ride to the Benham Falls lookout. It's a nice out and back.

Some of my family, who are pretty averse to hills and technical, really like it.

·
Afric Pepperbird
4,752 Posts
Peterson Ridge Trail (east side) in Sisters is fine for beginners up to the "Sacred rock circle", or whatever that thing is. You'll love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts