Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already have the CX nationals here for the next two years, now Bend has been awarded the road nationals as well! All we need now is a MTB national!! I bet we could build a nice DH run down Bachelor, eh?? We already have plenty of options for an XC race!

USA Cycling's announcement:

2009-10 Junior, U23 & Elite Road Nationals awarded to Bend, Ore.

Colorado Springs, Colo. (February 4, 2009)-The 2009-10 USA Cycling Junior, U23 & Elite Road National Championships have been awarded to the city of Bend, Ore., the national governing body announced today.

The announcement comes six weeks after the cycling-friendly community was also awarded the next two editions of the USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships.

The dates for the 2009 USA Cycling Junior, U23 & Elite Road National Championships will be July 28 through Aug. 2.

Since the Junior, U23 and Elite fields were combined into one national championship event in 2005, the 2009 edition marks the event's first visit to the Pacific Northwest. Previous hosts include Anaheim, Calif. (2008), Seven Springs Resort in Champion, Pa. (2006-07) and Park City, Utah (2005). The six-day event will host approximately 1,000 competitive cyclists as they compete for national titles in three different disciplines of road racing - the individual time trial, road race and criterium.

"Bend is a destination for both recreational and competitive cycling, and we're excited to bring another national championship to Oregon," commented USA Cycling chief executive officer Steve Johnson. "Bend's long tradition of community-wide support and passion for cycling convinced us to award them two national championships in the same year."

Chad Sperry, longtime race director for national-caliber races such as the Cascade Cycling Classic, the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic and the Tour of Utah, will serve as race director for the national championships. Also, the national championships' place on the calendar creates a natural synergy for elite men and women as the 2009 Cascade Cycling Classic - a National Racing Calendar event - will occur in Bend, July 22-26.

"Destination sporting events like USA Cycling's road national championships are a great way to increase awareness of Bend, with the added value of providing a significant economic boost to the community at the same time," said Drew Mahalic, executive director of the Oregon Sports Authority. "Bringing events like this to Oregon is a great example of how tourism through sports can be used as an outstanding form of economic development during challenging times."

·
it means 'no problem'
508 Posts
Just reinforces what we already knew - the Bend cycling scene has CRED!

This is going to be a good year to ride bikes in Bend.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
socalbikegirl said:
Mtn bike nationals won't happen here. Little thing called NORBA won't allow it.
There is no "NORBA" any more. It is all part of USA Cycling.

I do find it funny that USA Cycling is brings so many of their Championships here when Oregon and OBRA refuses to bring the local racing back under their sanction.

·
it means 'no problem'
508 Posts
shiggy said:
There is no "NORBA" any more. It is all part of USA Cycling.

I do find it funny that USA Cycling is brings so many of their Championships here when Oregon and OBRA refuses to bring the local racing back under their sanction.
And why would they? IMO OBRA is doing a great job, in fact I bet it is one of the top race organizations in the US.

Buy Local!

Credit is partially due to OBRA that USAC can see the value and depth of the cycling culture in OR.

Besides, it's not like there's "so many" Championships here now. Two events in the same town is very cool! I, for one am looking forward to it.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sans soucie said:
And why would they? IMO OBRA is doing a great job, in fact I bet it is one of the top race organizations in the US.

Buy Local!

Credit is partially due to OBRA that USAC can see the value and depth of the cycling culture in OR.

Besides, it's not like there's "so many" Championships here now. Two events in the same town is very cool! I, for one am looking forward to it.
Agreed. OBRA does a great job for the riders and promoters. USAC offers no value added for the local scene. USAC has been trying to bring Oregon back "in the fold" for years. We have always said, "thanks but no thanks."

I say "so many" championships because of the low number of USAC events and riders in the state, and the number of times the CX championships held here in the past, in addition the newly announced events.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.