Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming to Bend and Sisters for a week and will be looking to do dispersed camping near phils area and other trails possibly. I can't decide between bringing a family members RV or tent camping it. I'll have my wife with me so one of the big factors is having a bathroom within a short driving distance of where we stay. Are there any bathrooms in the area or would we be looking at driving into town for her.

Any other recommendations of places to camp out would be helpful.

·
What day are we riding?
1,088 Posts
None of the dispersed camping near Phils is going to have bathrooms. Your wife sounds like my wife - if she was along on the trip I would be bringing the RV.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
The sno-park parking lots have bathrooms. Wanoga and Meissner are up the highway about ten miles and you'd be right at the start of Tiddlywinks and Funner, and near the top of Swede Ridge (sort of). The thing is that if you wanted to ride from camp you'd have to ride down first then up, if that works for you.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
There's lots of spots near the Phil's TH and the pit there actually has a nice breeze up yer's while doing your bizness.

I guess I need to stop pimping my favorite spot. I guess the DoD will be there in a couple weeks...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So there is a pit toilet at phils? I was also wondering if there is any camping near tumalo creak off of 4601, 4603 or something in that area? This will be our first riding trip to bend so any advice is helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
So there is a pit toilet at phils? I was also wondering if there is any camping near tumalo creak off of 4601, 4603 or something in that area? This will be our first riding trip to bend so any advice is helpful.
Thanks
There is a pit toilet at Phil's but I guarantee you your wife will be pissed off at you if you expect her to use it. It's that nice.

I don't think I've seen any camp sites right off of Tumalo Creek (and if there were they'd have tons of auto traffic passing by). I've seen tents a bit lower on Skyliner Rd. near the bottom of Whoops trail though.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently I think the wife wants to stay near the Metolius and just drive over to ride. Is that generally going to be a better camping situation? I'm not opposed to commuting, it's no different then what I have to do now living in the pit of portland area.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Currently I think the wife wants to stay near the Metolius and just drive over to ride. Is that generally going to be a better camping situation? I'm not opposed to commuting, it's no different then what I have to do now living in the pit of portland area.
The Metolius would be a FAR nicer place to camp. It's about 45 minutes away from Phil's trail but only about 15 minutes away from Peterson Ridge.

·
Registered
401 Posts
There's a toilet at skyliner snow park also. Probably similar to the one at phils. If you go just past skyliners snow park and then hang a right just before crossing the bridge, that road will take you up onto the ridge and out toward Triangle Butte (and eventually Three Creeks Lake and Sisters) or Todd Lake depending on which way you go. There may be some camping up there. Not sure how far you'll go before hitting snow or trees though. It's July now, it may not be a problem. Skeeters could be bad. They were pretty bad along south fork trail the other day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info on where to look. I think an actual campground in sisters or on the west side of bachelor is going to be our first choice and then if that doesn't work out we'll try for near the trails.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know about camping in Tumalo state park? My girlfriend and I are heading there this weekend. Based on information from COTA and Google maps, it looks like it might be possible to ride from Tumalo state park to Shevlin Park to Mrazek. Anyone know if this is worth it or should we drive a bit closer to start the ride?

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Does anyone know about camping in Tumalo state park? My girlfriend and I are heading there this weekend. Based on information from COTA and Google maps, it looks like it might be possible to ride from Tumalo state park to Shevlin Park to Mrazek. Anyone know if this is worth it or should we drive a bit closer to start the ride?
Tumalo state park campground is almost always packed full like sardines, and although it looks close to Shevlin Park as the crow flies there's not really a connector trail (unless someone punched one through in the last few years) and you'll probably want to drive to get to Shevlin.

Bottom line is that Tumalo State Park isn't the best place to camp for a bike trip. Do you guys definitely want a developed campground? There are several primitive camping options that I'd pick instead.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just spent the week in the area and camped on the metolius and just drove into bend for riding and eating out. It wasn't bad at all and we rode peterson ridge in sisters as well. If you planned on riding mostly high elevation trails like we did I'd recommend staying at Elk lake camp or one of the near by lakes, but again it's a half hour drive to town.

·
It's carbon dontcha know.
4,295 Posts
I have a paid reservation for there for tomorrow night (Thursday) that I'm not going to use, yours if you want it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tumalo state park campground is almost always packed full like sardines, and although it looks close to Shevlin Park as the crow flies there's not really a connector trail (unless someone punched one through in the last few years) and you'll probably want to drive to get to Shevlin.

Bottom line is that Tumalo State Park isn't the best place to camp for a bike trip. Do you guys definitely want a developed campground? There are several primitive camping options that I'd pick instead.
Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated. I think we're going to stick with the developed campsite this weekend cause I already made the reservation. However, this definitely isn't the last camping trip and we'd be interested in not being packed in with the hordes next time.

I have a paid reservation for there for tomorrow night (Thursday) that I'm not going to use, yours if you want it.
6thElement, I'd PM you but my post count isn't high enough. What's the site number? Definitely interested in heading out a night early.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts